Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AOL and Violence

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:26 AM

Ok, I may seem like a parent that freaks out over everything, but I found this on AOL's homepage for signing into AIM and I couldn't help think about all those problems people are having with the company that create GTA SA.

If AOL can have games similar to that (disregarding all the "suggested themes") then when will a concerned parent jump at AOL? (and most likely not get heard cause of there crappy "customer care")

Posted Image

Edited by yanowhiz, 27 August 2005 - 11:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:58 PM

That would make me mad too. But I did some digging around. I hope what I have found, makes you feel a bit better. :thumbsup:

http://www.roadreadyteens.org/PressRelease_9_9_04.html

Auburn Hills, MI)—Instant messaging-based games are becoming more safety-conscious this week. Chrysler Group, through a partnership with America Online, Inc., is launching its Road Ready StreetWise online teen driving video game on the AOL® Instant Messenger™ (AIM®) service. Through this popular service, Chrysler Group will teach driver safety to teens in this fun and challenging game. Using the AIM service to educate teens about a critical safety issue is a first for both Chrysler Group and America Online, Inc.

The free online video game is part of Road Ready Teens, a Chrysler Group safety initiative that addresses a serious national concern: Traffic crashes are the No. 1 killer of teens. StreetWise is a driver safety video game – developed by Chrysler Group – that is proven to increase teens’ awareness and understanding of driving risks.

http://www.roadreadyteens.org/TeenPage01.html

If it is the same game you mentioned. I guess they are using the wording (which I quote below), as an attention grabber.

"Streewise" on AIM Games
Oh, were not supposed to hit those people.

This wording, alludes to the direct opposite, of what they are trying to accomplish. Which is saftey awareness. Well, if it gets kids attention...........*shrug*

AOL Games

GETTING STARTED

Road Ready: Streetwise is a safety awareness game designed to help teens understand some of the risks they face as new drivers in an entertaining and memorable way. It is not a driver's education game.

Object of the Game:
The object of the game is to complete the safety objectives of each mission while reacting as quickly as possible to avoid hazards and distractions in the world.

One downside to this game. Is that it requires "Wild Tangent" :flowers:

Edited by Scarlett, 27 August 2005 - 07:09 PM.

Posted Image

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:46 AM

Yes I feel better Scarlett. However I just think tjhey should at least advertise it to get message a little more "clear." So maybe a parent wouldn't let there child play it, because of the way it sounds. :thumbsup:

Edited by Pandy, 06 September 2005 - 12:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users