Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't recognize USB wireless adapter driver

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Brucerb

Brucerb

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 700m with WinXP Professional, V 2002 (SP3). Pentium processor 1.80 GHz. It has an internal miniPC wireless card for 802.11b and g. Dell tells me that my computer will not support an internal (mini PC) wireless card for dual N, but I can use an external USB dual N wireless adapter. I purchased the EnGenius EUB9801 which is a 300Mbps Wireless N Dual Band USB adapter. When I plug it into the USB socket, the computer recognizes the "802.11 n WAN" but will not find the driver file which has been preloaded. I have disabled the existing internal card, totally removed from the computer all antivirus programs, spyware programs and any other programs that use wireless in any fashion (printer, wireless mouse etc.). I have tried to install the software driver before and after inserting the adapter, but the computer won't recognize it. The adapter remains as an "other device" in the system devices. The adapter was successfully installed in my other (desktop) computer, and the 2 USB slots on my laptop work just fine with all other USB equipment. Is something blocking my driver file from being found?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users