Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs won't open

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rmwatson89

rmwatson89

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

I have Windows XP Professional (2002 Version). Until recently, my computer started up slowly and was unable to hibernate, standby, or restart. This was because there were far too many programs which started up as my computer turns on. So I turned off most of them. After this, my computer had worked fine for a couple days, but suddenly it is unable to open many of my programs. iTunes, Microsoft Word and Excel, Symantec Antivirus, and most of my other programs won't open, displaying a "[Program] has encountered a problem and needs to close." error message. Strangely, my Mozilla Firefox browser, Adobe Acrobat, and a couple other random programs (like Hearts and Audacity) open and function fine.

Microsoft auto-linked me to their website where it said "Windows isn't able to open a file on your computer's hard disk. This might be a temporary condition that could go away after restarting your computer, or it could be a more serious problem with your hard disk or its driver." I tried restarting my computer and error-checking my hard drive but neither of these solved the problem. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

Did you try system restore?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 rmwatson89

rmwatson89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

I hadn't yet. I'll try that now.
If that doesn't work, is it hard drive failure?
Thank you for your reply!

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:50 PM

I don't think. anything indicates hard drive problem. It looks more like system files\registry problem, so system restore MAY fix it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users