Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP SP3 - PC Will not bootup and cannot re-install

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 loggedout

loggedout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

I have a desktop PC which has decided not to function.

The problem started the other day when I left the computer inactive and returned to see that it was in a "frozen" state. I could move the mouse around but could not click on anything. So I pressed the re-start button thinking that would clear things up, but to my dismay the computer did not restart properly. During boot-up the computer made it all the way through to the Windows logo screen where you see the progress bar moving back and forth but eventually it would just stall out there never making it to the login screen. I tried logging into the machine in Safe Mode but this did not work either and eventually after a series of restarts I got the following message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

Well then I attempted to repair the file as the message instructs but could not get very far because the Windows Setup keeps stalling at this step "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows..."

So now I need some help, what should I do?

Note: The computer was stable prior to a recent trip, I didn't use the computer for a month, except for a day before just prior to the incident and I had not installed anything on it.

Edited by loggedout, 24 January 2010 - 02:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

DO NOT press "R" at the first screen. That will lead you to recovery console.
This is how to do repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repa...ws-XP-t138.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command before I tried a repair.

Chkdsk is able to overcome some NTFS file system and hard drive problems.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#4 loggedout

loggedout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command before I tried a repair.

Chkdsk is able to overcome some NTFS file system and hard drive problems.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

I used a different CD and was able to run the CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console, but I got this message:

"The Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

*Ouch*

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

It looks like the drive is a goner.
You still can try manufacturer diagnostic program, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

The actual hard drive may be fine, but I suspect that the file system (NTFS) is damaged, hence the trigger on the NTFS.sys file.

For all intents and purposes...the net result is similar since XP and all programs lie on the file system and the only way that I know to repair a damaged file system is via a clean install after the previously existing partition has been deleted.

I would run the hard drive diagnostic, if possible, as a way of verifying whether or not the hard drive itself is fit for reuse.

Louis

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

Very good point :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 loggedout

loggedout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

It looks like the drive is a goner.
You still can try manufacturer diagnostic program, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks, they were WD's but don't know the model (will have to open up for that). For running these diagnostics does it matter if these were two physically distinct HDDs configured for RAID 0?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

IMO, the RAID just increases the complexity...I would test each drive separately.

Louis

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

Edited by Broni, 24 January 2010 - 05:41 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 loggedout

loggedout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

The actual hard drive may be fine, but I suspect that the file system (NTFS) is damaged, hence the trigger on the NTFS.sys file.

For all intents and purposes...the net result is similar since XP and all programs lie on the file system and the only way that I know to repair a damaged file system is via a clean install after the previously existing partition has been deleted.

I would run the hard drive diagnostic, if possible, as a way of verifying whether or not the hard drive itself is fit for reuse.

Louis

I ran the WD diagnostic (Version 5.04f) on each of my drives (both are WDC WD5000YS models) and one came out clean, but I received the error code 0132 on the other one. I checked on WD's site and this error code refers to a Command Error where "Command Aborted. Please ensure that you are using the version of diagnostic utility corresponding to either newer or older Western Digital drives."

Now this doesn't make any sense to me. They are identical drives. Is there something *really* wrong with the drive or the controller? How do I figure this out?

What should be my course of action?

Thanks so much.

Edited by loggedout, 25 January 2010 - 01:49 PM.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:55 PM

Did you try to re-test it?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 loggedout

loggedout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

Did you try to re-test it?

Yes, several times. I cannot execute the test on the 2nd drive. It immediately responds with that error message.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:28 PM

Try CD version.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 loggedout

loggedout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

Try CD version.

This was the CD version. It was a bootable CD run on the drives from start up (not through Windows, I cannot access that).

Thx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users