Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ie explorer 7 will not open

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 markI

markI

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

hello - here goes...
I use mcafee and used superantispy ware as my normal workhorses. Use XP.

2 wks ago, my daughter's download result was BSDeath. I booted from recovery disc, put in OS disc and repaired. Booted in safe mode and downloaded avast antivirus, firefox (wish i would have know about this b4), spybot s&d, malwarebuytes, windows malicious software removaltool, spyware blaster, baooka adware, somodo firewall. Reran mcafee and SASWare again. Also ran ad aware later. All these are not showing anything, now.

Updated windows, now the system is working fine except IE E7 wont budge, i get the spinning hourglass and then nothing. My "internet options" folder is gone too. tried opening in run command, tried opening w/o add ons - screen doesnt' even blink. Did disc defrag, disc cleaner. Ran "registry mechanic" and "driver checker". Went on Dell and got driver updates, went back to windows update. Ran Hijack This and "looks ok to me" (which is not saying much at all, but i dont see anything blatant).

Far as Im concerned the IE7 option can sit in its hole and rot there, but down the road, what if....? Also, want to make sure that I didn't screw things up to bad, with all the programs, my box takes 15 min to load now, but I'll go after that later.

Any help in giving me a direction on this IE7 fiasco please? thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

markI,

Did you try uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling? From your post I took it that Firefox is working you can download it with that.

Dan

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

Are you running two AV programs, McAfee and Avast?

Ran "registry mechanic" and "driver checker"

Stay away form any tool of that kind.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 markI

markI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hello and thank you for your interest!

I thought of this too, when i run add/remove programs, the option to remove "button" on the right side doesn't come up. It works for all my other programs though.

Since my machine is booting at the pace of dripping ME molasses in January, i was going to get rid of the registry mechanic and driver cleaner, 'later'.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

Are you running two AV programs, McAfee and Avast?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 markI

markI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

Hi,
The McAfee is the bundled Security Center program from Comcast Cable ("like" Norton).
I do have that as my primary.
I also have the avast! antivirus that does run (icon spins) at the same time, so both of these are always running.

(and, yes my firefox works just fine).

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Two AV programs are never recommended.
I suggest, you remove McAfee, which pretty much worthless. Uninstall it through Add\Remove and then, use McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninsta...oval-Tool.shtml to get rid of leftovers.

At the same time, you should uninstall Spybot and Ad-aware, which are tools of the past.

You can't uninstall IE, because it's part of Windows.
Missing "Internet options" tab is often a sign of some infection. Computer being very slow would confirm that possibilty.
Try IEFix though: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

IE 7 can be uninstalled even if SP 3 is installed as long as it was installed after SP 3, IE 7 will revert to IE 6.

Dan

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

Mark, just to let you know that if you decide to keep the Comcast offered McAfee: (to all who read this: Please do not turn this into a debate about your opinion of Norton. This is strictly info that Mark needs to know should he decide to keep McAfee)

This was announced on January 20th:

We are replacing the current Comcast McAfee Security Suite with a new Comcast Norton Security Suite.

Please visit http://security.comcast.net for further details.

Why is Comcast switching from McAfee to Norton?

Norton™ Security Suite powered by Norton 360™ technology scans faster, boots faster, uses less memory and installs faster than McAfee*

* Comparison based on Antivirus, Internet Security and Total Security Performance Benchmarking, Edition 4, by PassMark Software Pty., Ltd. ( March 2009).

What happens to customers who are currently using the Comcast McAfee offer?

Customers who currently use McAfee will continue to be covered during a migration period. During the migration period, Comcast will be asking customers to switch from McAfee to the Norton™ Security Suite. You can learn more about how to switch by clicking here http://security.comcast.net/norton/resi/?cid=NET_33_256.

What will happen to customers that do not switch from McAfee to Norton?

If you take no action and do not switch from McAfee to Norton, the McAfee product will eventually become out-of-date and will not provide proper protection. You will receive a message on your McAfee product advising you that you are no longer protected. You can learn more about how to switch by clicking here http://security.comcast.net/norton/resi/?cid=NET_33_256.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 January 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#10 markI

markI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:35 PM

Hi, thank you for the data on the Comcast McAfee/ Norton - I bookmarked and will get into that.

IE Fix: I had looked at this earlier and saw that this version (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm) had not been tested on IE7 (the download version MB was tiny); so after reading your post, I relooked it up and found this: (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-internet-explorer-with-fix-ie-utility) (this was 952K MB)
the web page said it was ok for IE7 and i ran it. It was very quick, and it gave me a msg that it had re-registered all my files.

But nothing happened with my IE7.

I read the post about downgrading fromIE7 to 6. This sparked some more data, not sure if this will help...
When I first ran my OS to repair the machine, I went right to safe mode with networking and loaded the anti viruse programs "above" and scanned. After this, I ran normal windows and a bunch of updates came up. i had loaded (at the prompt) IE 8 while doing my first windows update. When i tried to run IE in normal, it wouldn't work. I had read in a previous 'search' to try and downgrade to IE7, so i did but that didn't change anything. Once I got Firefox, I was unable to "find" IE in safe mode again, i just have the option of Firefox there, now.

?? thanks

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

Did you uninstall one of your two AV programs?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 markI

markI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

Got rid of Spybot S&D and McAfee.
I started Comodo firewall for that protection. Keeping Avast.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

OK, so where are we at now?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 markI

markI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

We took a trip down tangent lane, but it was worth it -- I learned some more and cleaned up my system.

The original focus was in that i was hoping someone may have some idea/ "trick" to breath life back my IE.

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

Try one more thing.
Restart computer in Safe Mode with Networking and see, if IE will open.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users