Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

microsoft securty essentials & win defender update issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 afj99

afj99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

Hello. I have Toshiba Satellite 505 with win 7, 6 gb ram, 64bit Intel Core 2 duo cpu, 2.20 ghz. I had mse since 12/30/09 and it was downloading and installing definitions and updates until recently. Eventually I uninstalled microsoft security essentials then reinstalled microsoft security essentials but now after I download mse, I get this message: "unable to find a volume for file extraction. please verify that you have the proper permission."
I have right clicked and have run as administrator.
Also, aftfer i uninstalled mse I started win defender but was unable to install those updates too. I kept getting the following messages each time I would try to update: " 0X80070008: not enough storage is available to process this command," or " EROR FOUND: 0x8007ee7 the server name or address coud not be resolved. requested header was not found."
I am able to install other programs fine, just microsoft products. Help!

Edited by afj99, 24 January 2010 - 01:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

Well, I have ZERO faith in Microsoft anti-malware software, so you can guess what my recommendation would be: use different (and better!) software.

I installed MSE recently just to have another scanner (disabled active protection as I already have one), but I don't use it as my primary anti-malware. If you're having trouble reinstalling it, use something else instead.

You may already be infected, and that's why you can't update the software (a testament to the quality of MSE!). Or it may just be a screwy software/driver/OS issue that would only be fixed by a reinstall of the OS. We'll likely never know.

My recommendation: forget about MSE and WD, and get better anti-malware software (there are plenty of good free ones, just ask around), and use them instead of the Microsoft ones.

Avira, Avast!, SUPER Antispyware, Malwarebytes, AVG....these are all good programs to use.

MSE is still in version 1.0

The programs I listed have been around for a lot longer than MSE, and have a good reputation.

There's my 2 cents. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users