Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does the Task Manager show RAM usage?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pankesk

pankesk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite P35 Series laptop with Windows XP Home. It has a Pentium 4 3.46GHz processor and 512MB RAM (shows only 448 usable).

It's five years old and is starting up and running slowly. Sometimes I tire of waiting for it to "settle" and will just turn it off and then start it up again because that seems to help it get untangled from whatever it's doing. I use my laptop mostly for IE and Microsoft Word.

I've downloaded Glary Utilities freeware and did the basic cleanup and checking of stuff. I don't recall that it was a sudden change from high performance to slow performance, and I've got AVG free anti-virus software that says that nothing is infected.

I'm wondering if I just don't have enough RAM. When I open the Task Manager, Performance tab, it shows very little CPU usage, never higher than 25%. I don't understand the numbers at the bottom, like "Physical Memory" etc. I'm wondering if one of those numbers tells me how much of my RAM I'm currently using, which would hopefully tell me if my slow computer is due to not enough RAM.

thanks for any answers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

I know in Windows XP, it shows page file usage, but I haven't used it for a while. I believe it doesn't.

Reinstalling XP is always the best way to see if its just the operating system. I recommend defragmenting too. XP's isn't too bad, but you could also use http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

RAM usually always helps older machines though.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

Those P3 and P4 systems didn't have a lot RAM capability, compared to today's systems...your max is 2GB on that system.

Going to the max on a system that is used to 512MB...should be dramatic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users