Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A little confused

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Thor81

Thor81

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hello, I really don't know where to begin here.

I'm retiring my current nine year old desktop and plan on turning it into a home server and decided I would like to save a few bucks and build my next desktop. All of the guides out there really are making my head spin. I know all the parts I need, I'm just a little unclear on makng sure everything is going to be compatible. Particularly the motherboard and the memory, I'm really lost when it comes to those two.

I'm looking to spend no more than 1k on the machine. I keep my machines a long time so I want something with a high end processor (i7) and lots of memory. I do not plan on doing any gaming, so I'm curious if any type of graphics card (even a low end one) would be of any benefit to me. Could somebody recommend a good compatible motherboard and memory for setup such as this? Also, any good basic cases with good cooling? I would greatly appreciate and help. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

http://www.newegg.com/ is your friend. It has the details for compatibility between components.

I don't have the time right now to browse newegg and throw together a suggestion build, but if I have some time later I'll try.

Pretty much what you need are these-

Case
Power supply
Motherboard
RAM
Processor
Graphics Card-(While you might not want it for gaming, video editing and things can use them more and more.)

Case- As long as its an ATX case, I don't think you need to really bother with it, as long as you like it and it has at least one 120mm fan
Power supply- I recommend a 550 watt or greater.
Motherboard- The main thing here is compatibility with your processor and what speed of RAM it supports.
RAM- I try and get the fastest stuff that'll run on my motherboard
Processor- If you want a high end processor, go for it. I just think any quad-core is suitable.
Graphics card- I hear flash is starting to take advantage of the graphics card, and many applications. I would at least get a low end card, if not mid-range for the price of your build.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 Thor81

Thor81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

MSI N9400GT-MD1G GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC
Rosewill FE-A010 Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
ECS X58B-A2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

How does this look? I pulled the video cards and the computer case/power supply out of nowhere because I'm not quite sure. Anything I'm missing? Any suggestions? Thanks

Edited by Thor81, 24 January 2010 - 02:27 PM.

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

Uhm, would you give a link to it on Newegg? Its easier to look through them that way.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

Welcome to the forums! Don't bother with an i7 920, unless you want to use more maximum RAM in the motherboards. The 920 is very similar to the Phenom II 965, but is much more expensive, the next step up in the i7 line, however, completely blows the Phenom II, and your budget, away. Also, please use links as it makes it much easier to check on your equipment.

Case: NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series CS-NT-BETA-EVO - I agree with earlier posters in that you don't need an enormous full ATX case given that you aren't a gamer. $49 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 - Since you keep PC's for a while, I thought it would be a good idea to get you one of the best there is. This one takes AMD's AM3 CPU's, DDR3 RAM, and allows for Crossfire. This board also has SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0, both of which are just now hitting the market. The AM3 socket on this board will also be around for a while and take upcoming AMD processors. $184

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100284L Radeon HD 5750 1GB - This is in ATI's new Radeon 5 series. The 5750 is a step above a low-level card, so this should last a while too. $129

Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W - This will be able to power everything with plenty to spare. $59 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz - This is the best CPU AMD has. Like all Black Edition CPU's, this one comes with the multiplier unlocked making overclocking very easy. $189

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - This is performance memory. To max out your RAM, you will need to buy two of these kits. $187 ($93 x two kits)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache - Plenty of space. Note that the motherboard can take SATA 6Gb/s devices. Few drives exist that can take advantage of that speed. This drive is SATA 3Gb/s $54

Optical Drive: LG 22X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH22LS50 LightScribe Support - A simple, basic drive is all you need. $28

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need a 64-bit operating system to take advantage of 4GB or more of RAM. $104

Grand Total: $990 (Before rebates)

3939.png

#6 Thor81

Thor81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for that setup. Looks much better than mine, for the price difference looks like AMD is the way to go. Couple of questions if you don't mind.

-First does this motherboard support this memory, from what I'm reading unless I misread it only supports 1333 Ram. Is this correct?

-Is this everything I will need? Cables and everything?

-In regards to the graphics, would there be any disadvantage to just getting a really low end card? Since I'm not gaming, anything out there that would take advantage of this graphics card?

Again, thank you for taking the time to put that list together, that really made searching much easier

Oh, and I already have a copy of windows 7 64. what would you spend the extra money saved on if you could?

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

* First does this motherboard support this memory, from what I'm reading unless I misread it only supports 1333 Ram. Is this correct?
The motherboard can run DDR3 modules at 1866Mhz, 1600Mhz, 1333Mhz, 1066Mhz and 800Mhz.

* Is this everything I will need? Cables and everything?
Yes.

* In regards to the graphics, would there be any disadvantage to just getting a really low end card? Since I'm not gaming, anything out there that would take advantage of this graphics card?
Not really. The reason he suggested that card is to future-proof your build. The 5 series supports DX11, runs cooler and consumes less power.
Options are quite flexible.

* Oh, and I already have a copy of windows 7 64. what would you spend the extra money saved on if you could?

Well, you could go in for a Sapphire HD 5770 ($165 Before MIR) and a Corsair TX650 ($90 Before MIR)

$691 + $165 + $90 = $946

Now, you can add additional 120mm case fans (your case supports up to 6 120mm fans with the option of dual 140mm at the top), prices ranging from $4 - $20 each.

Or you could get yourself an additional hard disk (500GB) for under $60.

Last but not the least, save the extra to buy a good LCD monitor for the system.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 25 January 2010 - 07:51 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 Thor81

Thor81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

Thank you, if I get this right, with that PS I don't need to mess with the voltage? I'm always afraid I'm going to fry something when I mess with a PS.

What are your thoughts on that motherboard? Any advantages to spending more on an upgrade? I like the USB 3.0

Thanks again you guys have been really helpful

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

With the Corsair TX650, you have enough power and absolutely nothing to worry about.
It will power your card with ease and offer enough headroom for future upgrades.

The only issue I see with the GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 is that it lacks an onboard video chipset, which is compensated by 2 PCI-E slots. Useful if you plan to have a crossfire/SLI setup. But given that you don't intend to do any gaming, that would seem rather pointless.

So you actually have a cheaper option (based on the 785 Chipset) but that doesn't support SATA 6.0 or USB 3.0.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 25 January 2010 - 08:12 PM.

#10 Thor81

Thor81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

Thanks, I think I'll stick DJBpace's suggestion. I want the USB 3.0 more than onboard graphics.

So what is the difference between the phenom's 140w vs the 125w. I thought the 125w was an updated version, but I'm finding the 140w to be about $40 more than the 125w. Any thoughts? Thanks

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

The Phenom II 965 has two versions, the 125W and the 140W with the 125W being newer. The 125W and the 140W refer to the amount of power the CPU's need, so the one with the larger wattage needs more power to run. Also, not all motherboards support the 140W CPU's, mainly the lower-end boards. The Gigabyte above, which is a higher end board using a 790FX chipset, supports up to 140W CPU's. On a side note, your Windows 7 64-bit disc must be an unopened OEM copy which hasn't been installed on any PC or a full, boxed retail copy. Boxed retail copies can be moved from one PC to another, but the OEM versions are tied to the motherboard.

3939.png

#12 Thor81

Thor81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

Ok, I think I'm ready here

here's my list, could someone please check it? I just want to be sure before I place the order. Thanks again for all the help

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/Shopping...spx?Submit=view

#13 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

^ shows an empty shopping cart. :S

#14 Thor81

Thor81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

odd, when I click on it, it comes up. Does it matter that this was the computer I saved it on?

#15 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

^ Yeah, click on "Print Cart" and take a snapshot of that and attach it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users