Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:48 PM
My wife's computer started doing the google redirect thing, which I figured out pretty quickly with the help of google. But I have not been able to remove it fully, and on top of that, at some point something has killed my NIC to where XP (home) can't even see it. I have spent the last 2 days sitting in front of her computer doing everything I can think of to get this bug off the system, but it's beaten me, so I'm here for help.
The main issue right now is that I will have the system apparently clean, and a 'hidden' copy of catchme.sys will show up in the user temp dir and then it all goes downhill again. And of course the NIC issue. I've cleaned the registry, I've run tools, I've scanned for hours, but it's hiding somewhere and I can't ferret it out.
I'm going to run DDS since that's the 1st thing you get people to do, but I will wait on attaching the output log or doing anything else until instructed.