Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete folder in Vista x64

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 badgerbme

badgerbme

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

I cannot delete a folder in windows explorer. I am running Vista x64.

Unlocker doesn't work with Vista x64 so I'm out of luck there.

This folder has resisted all my efforts to remove it, including rebooting into safe mode.

If I try to delete it I get an error message the says "Could not find this item".

If I try to change any attributes in the folder properties I get an error message "The system cannot find the file specified".

One peculiar thing is that if I move a file into the folder, explorer creates another duplicate folder that *can* be deleted. Bizarre. Maybe I should create a video of this and put it on Youtube.

Is there anyway to determine what is preventing the folder from being deleted?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

hello

here is a free tool like unlocker except there is a 64bit version.... good luck, http://lockhunter.com/

PS: I haven't used it , If you use it could you post on how it works?? thanks :huh:
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 badgerbme

badgerbme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

Hey Kenny thanks for Lockhunter. I had continued searching for a solution after I posted and found out this:

"Even though we don't usually see it, each file/folder with a Long File Name (LFN) also has a computer-created Short File Name (SFN), also referred to as an 8.3 filename, since it is limited to 8 characters plus and optional extension of up to 3 characters. (This goes back in computer history to MS-DOS and before.)

To see the 8.3 filename of your folder, open a Command Prompt and enter:

Dir /x

That command should present the usual listing of all the files and folders in that directory, as with the plain Dir Command. But the /x switch will create an additional column, before the LFN, showing the SFN for any file or folder whose LFN does not also meet the 8.3 requirements. Perhaps there is a space or other "illegal" character in the filename. The SFN for a LFN will probably have 6 characters, followed by ~1, or some other digit.

Use the Del or RD command with that SFN to delete your file or remove your folder. Using RD <SFN> /s for the top-level folder should remove that whole directory tree."

This worked for me! So I wanted to share this with everyone.

Thanks for the assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users