Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP wont start up in safe mode, does so otherwise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MongolianChop

MongolianChop

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:48 AM

I have a strange problem. If I try to start xp in safe mode, I get a message stating "windows did not start successfully. Recent hardware or software change may have caused this". There have been no hardware changes, although I have recently installed Malware bytes' anti-malware and SDfix. You see, I have been getting the "windows must now restart because the DCOM server process launcher service terminated unexpectedly" shut down error. I want to run SDFix to see if it helps with the DCOM error, but I cant run it because I cant boot into safe mode. I can boot normally, using the "start windows normally" or "last good configuration". Is there any other way to get my computer into safe mode?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

Boot normally...find the boot.ini file...take a picture (using Print Screen key) and post it here as an attachment.

Background data, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;289022.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 January 2010 - 11:28 AM.

#3 MongolianChop

MongolianChop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Here's a copy of the file. In txt format, didnt know exactly what you meant by taking a picture with the print screen key.

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Thanks...I just wanted to make sure that your boot.ini did not reflect the safeboot option. Looks like you have the Recovery Console option installed, which is good (IMO).

Exactly what steps are you taking to boot into safe mode?

May be worth trying, http://blog.didierstevens.com/2007/02/19/r...ith-a-reg-file/.

Louis

#5 MongolianChop

MongolianChop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

I managed to get into safe mode after all. After uninstalling the multiple virus scanners I was using to try to clean out my computer, and only using microsoft security essentials, I was able to boot into safe mode. I was then able to run SDfix as I wanted to.

Thanks much for your help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:18 AM

Feedback appreciated, glad you resolved it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users