Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

record recording

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 petawawa60

petawawa60

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

:thumbsup:
Well...audiophiles let me know, I can not finish it.
Have purchased a unit that says I can convert my record collection on to the hard drive of my computer and then by magic convert it it MP format and then to CD.
Problem is that I am not a savant.
Follw the directions but the destination is frustration.
Have Roxio 9.
Have Pre-Amp and turntable.
There seems to be action but there is not sound and when I try to get it on a disc a letter box comes up and tells me it is not on the Hard Drive...
Help,please.
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

The only other suggestion I would make, if you're planning on burning CDs from your LPs, is that you record to WAV files first. These are uncompressed. Then burn your CD, and then rip your MP3s from the CD (or the WAV files). MP3 is a "lossy" format and some information is lost when you convert to them. MP3s don't sound bad -- especially at higher bitrates, like 256 or 320 kbps -- but an uncompressed WAV file will be an exact audio copy.

And have fun! I've been doing this for years!

#4 petawawa60

petawawa60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

The only other suggestion I would make, if you're planning on burning CDs from your LPs, is that you record to WAV files first. These are uncompressed. Then burn your CD, and then rip your MP3s from the CD (or the WAV files). MP3 is a "lossy" format and some information is lost when you convert to them. MP3s don't sound bad -- especially at higher bitrates, like 256 or 320 kbps -- but an uncompressed WAV file will be an exact audio copy.

Will try...The female of the house is saying the records have to go....would definently like to not lose all the music available on these units...too much time and love gone into collecting them.
John

#5 mrmidnite

mrmidnite

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hi, i have found over the years that the most important thing is to retain audio quality as you cannot convert back to wav after you have encoded as mp3.
an mp3 file at best is about one third of the information of cd quality. when recording from an analog source you can get excellent results from using a software package like Steinberg's wave lab essential, which is possibly the best sounding software on the market.
The sound card you use also has a bearing on things as this dictates the quality of the audio stream coming into your computer and also the playback quality. The best on the market just now is a sub 200 unit from Echo called the audiofire2 which can outperform most of the pro cards available although it does only have 2 in and up to 6 out, you will however require two adapters to input into the quarter inch balanced jack sockets.
If you are a bit obsessive about sound record in the highest quality settings and bit depth,buy a 1TB of-board drive as you will need loads of space.
i hope you have lots of fun with this project

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

Will try...The female of the house is saying the records have to go....would definently like to not lose all the music available on these units...too much time and love gone into collecting them.
John

Are you attached to the music or the records? Most music is available digitally either on CD or via the internet. And there's a significant collectables market for vinyl depending on the condition. You could make some bucks selling them.

#7 atreiou

atreiou

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:11 PM

:thumbsup:
Have Roxio 9.
There seems to be action but there is not sound and when I try to get it on a disc a letter box comes up and tells me it is not on the Hard Drive...
Help,please.
John

erm, we need to be clear about a few things first... What 'unit' is it that ur using, do u simply mean u r using roxio 9 or is there a third piece of hardware being used? If this is the case, then what is the 3rd unit, and how are u attaching ur turntable to the unit, and then the unit to the computer? If this isn't the case and u r simply attaching ur turntable/amp to the computer, then how r u doing so? If it says there is nothing on the hard drive, and no sound is playing, then the problem is somewhere between the phono and roxio 9. What I mean by that is it's not the programme that's the problem, it's the communication between the programme and the turntable. Therefore if u can tell me what's connected to what and how I should be able to figure out a solution...

also, i'm a DJ, wot r u doing with all the old vinyl!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users