Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error code 0146 Help please!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kiki_0415

Kiki_0415

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:17 AM

I have a dell inspiron 1520. My son was playing on the cbeebies website when my younger son decided to take the battery off. I put the battery back on and when it started up it flased up a screen to recover from last update or recover from factory settings. I tried several times to recover from last update no luck. So i tried recover from factory settings this worked and restarted the computer. Now it starts with the dell page (where I can press f2 & f12) then says " A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. I have tried this several times but it just brings me back to this page. I have ran the diagnostics test and it brought up Error code 0142. Msg: error code 2000-0142. Unit 1: drive self test failed. Status Byte = 70. I have ran the test again and it brought up Error code 0146. Msg:error code 2000-0146. Unit 1:Dst log contains previous error. can some one help me to understand what is wrong?? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:45 AM

Welcome to BC.

Did your laptop come with a Recovery CD?

#3 Kiki_0415

Kiki_0415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

hiya im in the process of finding out if it has one as I got if 1 of my friends and she hasnt given me the stuff to go with it but she is a pain to get hold of :thumbsup:

#4 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:59 AM

Ok, you can get one from Dell. How To Request Backup CDs for Your Dell Computer

You can download a Hard Drive diagnostic progam to create a bootable CD to test your Hard Drive.

Have a look at Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics.

#5 Kiki_0415

Kiki_0415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

hi thanx but it keeps taking me to usa site and i am in uk plus just checked on dell uk site and the laptop is out of warrenty :thumbsup: cant find how to request disk on uk site .

#6 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

How To Request Backup CDs for Your Dell Computer UK

and

Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics UK

Is this laptop under Waranty, you can chat with the dell techs to order the right cd and ask about waranty status.

I would run the diagnostics on the Hard Drive, it would suck to order and wait for CD and then find out your drive is bad.

#7 Kiki_0415

Kiki_0415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

thank you will try that but the laptop is out of warrenty so struggling
to contact dell coz by the looks of it im going to hav 2 phone them.

#8 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

Looks like your right, I would try the email option before calling.

Contact Dell

#9 Kiki_0415

Kiki_0415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

Our records show that your Dell Hardware Warranty Support has expired. We are still here for you and offer a variety of solutions:

Call The Expired Hardware Warranty Support Team
If your support warranty has expired please call 800 624-9896 for fee based expired warranty support. .

not open till tomorow so looks like a waiting game thanks for the help will let you know if I get any further forward

once again thank you

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

Just curious.....If I am in error here or over looked some thing then excuse this post.
Kiki have you tried going into the BIOS setup by hitting the F2 key and making sure the hard drive is configured correctly?
It usually will work OK if the drive is set to auto.
Also check the boot menu to see if your hard drive is set as one of the bootable drives, it does not have to be the first option, but make sure if you have the DVD or CDROM as the first bootable device, that there isn't a bootable disk in the drive when you boot up.
Make sure there are NO floppy disks in drive A: if your system has one.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 January 2010 - 01:25 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

drive self test failed. Status Byte = 70

It looks like hard drive failure to me.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users