Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I lost a folder in Outlook Express.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chap10

chap10

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

I deleted a folder by mistake, in Outlook Express that had some important information in it. I tried restoring my system to an earlier date and the folder was still missing. Is there any place on my computor that might have a copy? Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:03 AM

Welcome to BC.

Is it in your Recycle Bin? :thumbsup:

You might look at something like, Free Data Recovery Software!

Edited by ratchet48, 24 January 2010 - 08:04 AM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

If you deleted the folder from Outlook Express, it should have gone to the Deleted Items folder in OE. However, the folder itself will not appear in Deleted Items if you go to that folder. It shows up someplace else as being in Deleted Items.

If you have not emptied the Deleted Items folder:

Open up OE.
If you have the list of folders set to show on the left side of the page, look at Deleted Items.
If the is a plus (+) click the + and you should see the name of the deleted folder.

Click on the folder name to highlight it.
Place your cursor over the highlighted folder, hold down the left click side of your mouse.
Drag the folder UP, and drop it into LOCAL FOLDERS.

If you don't have the folder list set to show:

Click the drop down arrow next to the word INBOX on the upper left side of OE.
This will give you the list on the left side of the page.

If you emptied Deleted Items after you accidentally deleted the folder, you may be out of luck. If there is a way to recover it, someone else will have to provide that information.
Follow the above directions.

FWIW, when you empty the deleted items folder, what is in it does not go to the recycle bin.

Also, since the folder contains important information it would be a good idea to back up the folder if you are able to recover it.

One method for backing up:

You could try this, and it doesn't involve software.

Store the messages you want archived to a folder. Navigate to where you want to folder to be.
Example: My Documents.
Name the folder. Open it up. If you want to create sub-folders, create them now.

Click the middle box on the top lright hand side (the one with 2 squares) to make the page smaller. If you made a sub-folder open one up.

Next, open Outlook Express.
Highlight the messages you want to archive. If you want to do all of them, click on EDIT/Select All.
If you don't want all of them, hold down the ctrl key while highlighting the messages you do want.

Once again, click the middle box at the top right hand side of the page. Drag the folder you created next to OE.
With your mouse, place your cursor over the highlighted messages. Hold down the left click button, then drag the messages to the OE folder.

They will be copied, and after that it is up to you to either delete or not delete the messages from OE.

When you need to view one of the messages, OE will open when you click on the message.

As a bonus, you can back up the folder to a cd. This will come in handy if your computer crashes and you need to reinstall the operating system or replace your hard drive.

I've used this method for years, works like a charm.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 January 2010 - 09:55 AM.

#4 chap10

chap10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:10 AM

I am still working on this and may never be able to retrieve it. I sure appreciate your help on stirring me in the right direction. Thanks again chap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users