Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access Maxtor external HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:22 AM

I just got a Maxtor OneTouch4 Mini 250GB external HDD from my friend. It's worked fine for as long as either of us know, but it's suddenly not accessible. Everything seems to be working fine, but it simply won't show up on Windows; it's contently sitting in the fat dumb and happy state. Both ends of the USB Y-cable are plugged in, the disk spins up, the access light comes on and stays solid, both Windows XP and Vista recognize a new device and succesfully install it, and the drive shows up fully working in both device manager and the Microsoft USB device viewer utility. But I don't get a dialog asking me what to do with the drive and when I go to My Computer the drive is not listed.

I've already tried unplugging/replugging, restarting the computer, disable/enable and update driver via device manager, safely remove device, and checking for drivers on the Maxtor site (which has no drivers or useful information about the problem). This has all been done on two Vista and one XP machine with consistent behavior among all three, so whatever the problem is, I assume it's with the drive itself. The disk spins up with no scraping or crunching of platters, and the LED doesn't blink to indicate a physical problem, plus I've read two or three threads describing the same problem but I can't find any relevant information on how to fix this. By all indications the drive works, I simply can't get to it. Any ideas on how to go about fixing this? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:55 AM

Have a look at How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP.

Is the drive visible in Disk Management?

#3 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

Actually no, it doesn't.

#4 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

This is a common problem, The drive spins with no unusal clicking or grinding. On some drives you can replace the hard drives mother board and access your data, but this is a shot in the dark. 50/50 chance. If your computers don't see the drive, recovery software is probably not an option.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

Are you saying that the drive is not reflected in the lower portion of Disk Management as unallocated space?

Was the drive formatted when passed to you?

Louis

#6 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

No, it isn't shown as allocated space. The drive was formatted presumably to NTFS when it was given to me, and my friend used it regularly with an XP computer.

If the only chance of making this thing work again is to mess with the hardware, then I'm just going to toss it. I don't have any data on it and my friend already had everything on another computer anyway, so it's not a problem if the drive is unusuable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users