Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it worth upgrading?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:43 AM

i want to upgrade my laptop to make it run a bit faster, i dont do any serious gaming, mostly old games with pretty basic 3d graphics and alot of flash games.
i also play a browser based game called tribalwars.co.uk that i want to be able to load pages on it very fast for ingame tactics.
what should i do or should i just buy a new one?

37.2GB HD
1TB external HD
1.73 GhZ processor
797 mHZ 504mb of ram

print screen from what im reading the specs of;
Posted Image

let me know what other specs you need to see - and if its better to buy/build a new computer/laptop how would i go about it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sjr_2009

sjr_2009

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

I used to use a Pentium M 1.6GHz, 500MB RAM, 60GB hard drive, bought in 2006 -- sounds a lot like yours.

My two cents worth, I'd buy a new machine. You didn't say what kind of graphics you're running. Even for casual gaming (which is all I do), you can do much better today for relatively reasonable price. Newer procs are much more energy-efficient, and I found that I get much longer battery life out of my new machine and it's a lot quicker. (I have an Acer AS1410.)

You're going to get more bang for the buck going new -- I think you'll find that new components (SSD, more RAM, etc) will quickly add up to a big fraction of what a new one would cost.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#3 fallendream

fallendream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

ok, thanks. would it be better to buy a new one or build a new one?

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

There's not much that can be done to reasonably "upgrade" a laptop...they are not designed to be upgraded beyond a larger hard drive and/or more RAM.

The idea of building one...is probably best forgotten. A laptop is not a desktop, which has individual components which can be easily replaced, removed, switched, repaired.

And the cost or replacement parts for laptops tends to discourage the idea of repairing/upgrading by user...which is one reason extended warranties are a key consideration for users lacking the expertise to troubleshoot/repair.

Louis

#5 sjr_2009

sjr_2009

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:39 AM

Completely agree with Hamluis' post. Good luck!

#6 fallendream

fallendream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

let me re-clarify.
should i build a computer or buy a pre-built one?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

Depends on what is intended.

If gaming is the major activity to be performed on the system...by all means, build.

If you do mundane things on a system, like I do...there is no reason to build...but you have more options and upgrade possibilities than you would have with a purchased system.

If you are not ready to maintain your own system (it's not rocket science), then get a Dell, HP, etc. but get it with the understanding that you could have had a system that does the same thing cheaper...if you had built. Users pay for the lack of interest in their systems.

FWIW: I don't game at all.

Louis

#8 sjr_2009

sjr_2009

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

Sorry, I didn't read that earlier post closely enough before replying. If you're talking about a laptop, I'd buy prebuilt. There aren't a lot of options in barebones portable machines, as far as I know.

If you're thinking of replacing your system with a desktop, then I'd consider building one. I prefer putting together my own PC's because I enjoy it and you get exactly what you want. There are good machines you can get at retail although most OEM ones also come with a big load of trial software and other bloat. But not necessarily bad deals if you shop around.

--sjr

#9 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

With what you said you were going to use the computer for, you're best off buying a new one. At the rate technology is increasing, just upgrading your laptop won't be worth the money in the long run (or short run, even). There are amazing computers out there that are cheap and moderately powerful, which seems like exactly what you need. Look around in stores and online and find specs that are a bit higher/better than your current configuration. Aim for 1 GB ram (which is pretty cheap these days, yet plenty of memory for your needs) or even 2 GB if you can afford it.

*If you want advice for buying you're going to need to gives us a bit more detail, when you come to a decision of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users