Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

REGISTRY MECHANICS nightmare

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rodell

rodell

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:25 AM

This time a real catastrophy. Downloaded a registry checker, all 4mb, from Meta Products (who have not even answered call for help).

At ShutDown and at StartUp I'm presented with blue screen as follows:
Microsoft Registry Checker (MSN non longer supports)
c:\windowa\system.dat
Restore Desktop (check mark OK)
Restoring Devices Listed IN ASP (check mark OK)
RESTORING FILES/FOLDERS (no check mark OK)

After about ten minutes the horizontal progress bar stops at 86%. Then box appears found an error cannot repair. Try reducing number of files , otherwise REINSTALL (a course of action I will do anything to avoid!)

Point is I cannot get out of this screen. No cursor; no boxes of any kind. Must shutsoen, whereupon same thing restarts. At SAFE MODE I deleted anything about Registry with installation date 23AUG05. That is how I am now online. BUT THE SCREEN STILL APPEARS GOING IN OR OUT. Sometimes the error box doesn't appear and I'm in. Sometimes not, and I know not why.

You can see this is a real emergency in dire need of some expertise.

Failing resolution, and even if successfully resolved, please advise exact path at SafeMode that permits restoration (W98SE) to a given date -- in my case 22AUG05.

I dare not shutdown day or night fearing inability to get back. Please help!

Cordially, RO

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:48 PM

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q221512/

Note:
You do not need to start in safe mode to run this restore feature. But it does need to run from DOS Mode.
Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-Dos Mode

Also See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183887/EN-US/

#3 rodell

rodell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:19 AM

Thank you, River Rat for prompt useful info which I'll get to work on right away.
Do not know why no email advice that a reply had been made but glad I checked.
Cordially,

#4 rodell

rodell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:56 AM

Hi River Rat, and all others who kindly helped. PROBLEM SOLVED! Here is the cause/cure info:

Your registry program placed a "scheduled task" to "fix" the registry: a command line in autoexec.bat to run the Windows registry checker.

That line was left there after you uninstalled the program -- a sign of a badly written uninstall routine.

You still should delete the residual entry in the Task Scheduler (see my last post), even though it is not starting. If you were to start it, it might replace the entry in autoexec.bat.

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:41 AM

Was this Registry Mechanic that placed this command in the autoexec.bat ?

I use RM and haven't had any problem.

You're Welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users