Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cat5 splitter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cwmoo740

cwmoo740

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:40 AM

I'm at a college campus, and we have an in room wired network connection that's shared between two people. The wall plate that holds the ethernet jack was ripped out, so now there's a loose cat5 cable sticking out of the wall without the jack, just with those small 8 cables sticking out of it cat 5 cable Of the 8 small wires coming out of the insulated part, 4 are connected to one ethernet jack, and 4 are connected to another ethernet jack. We previously had an internet connection from both of the ethernet jacks, so I'm assuming that our campus computing services is sending a signal over all 8 of the cables. However, one of the ethernet jacks no longer works, as one of the small cables is loose. I've tried inserting it back in, but didn't have any success.

So my question is this: if I buy something such as cable splitter will I be able to cut the end of that cable on the adapter, twist each wire together with the corresponding wire coming out of the wall outlet, and go back to having two hot ethernet jacks? If so, how can I figure out the wiring to see which cables go together?

Edited by cwmoo740, 24 January 2010 - 05:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:28 AM

Welcome to BC.

I guess it would be possible to use one 2 computers via in Cat 5/6 cable but it would not work very well, if at all.

The cross talk or interference would be my major concern.

Cat 5/6 pin out

This for full duplex, Computer and switch/hub can transmit and receive simultaneously.

I think someone tried to rig the connection, if the pin out is setup for one computer at the switch/hub or patch panel it will never work.

So you can try to repair it yourself or contact your building maintenance.

Category 5 / 5E & Cat 6 Cabling Tutorial and FAQ's

#3 cwmoo740

cwmoo740
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

Ummm... sorry, I didn't really get that. For reference, this is the setup my room has: One cable two internet jacks. But the jack labeled 2A is broken. So will splicing these onto a splitter work, or not? If not, what other solutions could I take to fix it?

Edited by cwmoo740, 24 January 2010 - 04:50 PM.

#4 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

The CAT 5 cable needs to be punched down correctly to connect one computer, and then you could use the splitter you linked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users