Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

private network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eli

eli

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 20 September 2004 - 11:44 PM

:thumbsup:

Hey guys, got a quick question for you all. My girlfriend and I are seperated by about 2,000 miles while we are both doing research. We both have access to high speed internet and are wondering if there is any free (legit) software that would allow us to download large files (couple hundred mb) off one another. Neither of us have p2p on our computers and neither of us are interested in putting kazaa, limewire or the like on our computers. Anyone know of any download?

Or, is there another way for us to exchange files between our computers? I think people used to use IM to do such things, but think that you can no longer do such things. I appreciate any and all thoughts.

:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 12:18 AM

Most large FTP transfer programs are set up for businesses and therefore charge $$.

If you still wanted to go the e-mail route, then I'd get a Google "Gmail" account as one can send up to 10mb (email including any attachments) per message and one has a full gig of storage per account (I've several now...) That's the simplest and cheapest way to go. Most of the "free" FTP sites bombard you with ....xxxxxx.....

But I would also use a private encryption program for any sensitive data/information.

~Koan

[Edit] I should have added that if you'd like an invitation to Gmail accounts, send me a PM via "BC" with the e-mail address to send them to you as I've still a few to share.

Edited by KoanYorel, 21 September 2004 - 12:50 AM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 eli

eli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:07 AM

Koan,

Thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately the files we are talking about are larger than 10 mb. If worse comes to worse, we can just mail discs to one another; just hoping there is a way to avoid doing this.

:thumbsup:

#4 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:07 PM

You could use You Send IT It will work for what you are wanting to do. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users