Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heat Issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sexington

Sexington

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:39 AM

Hi there everyone, I am running an AMD anthlon 64 3800+ under a DFI LanParty NF 4 motherboard, 1 gig of ram and an ati radeon x850 videocard

I have a fairly simple question, it runs fairly hot (54 - cel) when under a workload which really isn't that big of a problem. But I'd still like to cool it down a bit, how much lower could I get with a fan? With water coolant?

btw, I have two fans running already and have a port on the top ready for another to be installed if need be.

Thanks a ton
Dr. Sexington

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:26 AM

if your gonna stay with air cooling, fill up all available fan ports.

But even though watercooliong helps it is expensive and cannot guarantee you that much of an increase in performace.

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

i agree with TEB

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 Sexington

Sexington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

Thanks, I'll put another couple of air fans in and see how cooler I can get

#5 Sexington

Sexington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

Another thing I've been hearing is water cooling is almost a must for those looking to overclock their processor. I'd like to overclock but need the cooling in order to get stable temperatures. Is the air cooling enough or do I need to switch to a different method?

Maybe a different heat sink

Any suggestions??

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:54 PM

if you really wanna overclock you need a deep pocket... water cooling is expensive and the life of your CPU/GPU (whatever u OC) will decrease substantially. i'd suggest if you do not know what you are getting into, then dont OC your computer.

if you wanna cool your CPU then yes get a heatsink, a better one. most preferably one with a fan. i have personally OC'd my system, after 15 min of doing so, my feet started burning. i keep my feet on the case as a rest. i added 4 fans before i did OC, and still, i got major temp rises. i'm not doing that again till i can afford to do so.

personally, i'd stay away from OC'ing your system. even if you can afford it. thats my opinion. but again your own personal preference decides whether you wanna do it or not.

thats my 2 cents

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 Sexington

Sexington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:42 AM

Alrighty, It's still pretty fast but you know.... you always want to make it faster.

Thanks

#8 systemfile

systemfile

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:27 AM

well UHM, make sure youre creating a flow through the case and not a vaccume, that creates the most heat. Just... fans blowing in on one side and out on another.
SystemFile.DLL
SystemFile.DLL

Posted Image

SystemFile.DLL

#9 Sexington

Sexington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:38 PM

For sure, that's really important, I've heard that the best method for a cooler computer is fans blowing in from the bottom and blowing out from the top, if I get at least one on the bottom and a couple at the top, it could cut my heat down quite a bit.... i hope! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the input

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users