Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My File Extensions Keep Changing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:27 PM

Hi All,

This problem started several months ago and I was only noticing it in association with my .wps files. Since that time I have downloaded and installed two other word processors, Open Office and AbiWord, and the same has been happening with documents that I've saved using those two programs too.

I have also had a couple of .txt files on my desktop, files that hadn't been opened for several months, decide that they wanted to turn themselves into files with no apparent extension.

How can I find out if there is a sneaky key logger on this machine or if someone is using a program like go to my PC to remotely access this machine?

Thanks for ANY help.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

Question: Do all the file extension changes change to no extension?
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

Hi Orange Blossom, Thanks foe the reply.

Not all at once but one or two at a time. it's more like I open/edit/save/exit from --> pic any file.wps or pic any file.odt and the next time I go to open it it has labeled itself "a file" and Windows needs to know blah-blah-blah to open it.

When that happens to a document saved as a .wps I've just lost that document. I've tried renaming the file back to .wps, however, that doesn't work and I end up with document that is anywhere from 10 K, as in thousands, to 29 K pages of programing language.

So far I have been able to work around the same problem when it occurred with several .odt documents and I haven't lost any data..., that I know of.

Got any suggestions? This has me thinking real hard about doing one of those destructive repair/reinstall things.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,948 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:12 PM

Hi Wendy,

I'm communicating with others on this issue and we're going to try a few things. First, lets check to see if the file system is okay.

Start ==> Run

Copy and paste the following into the run box

sfc/ scannow

please be sure to put a space between the / and the following s

It is possible that your computer will ask for your OS disk, so be sure to have it handy.

Let me know how that goes.

Once that is done, I'll post the next thing to do

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:01 AM

Hi Orange Blossom, Thanks for the reply.

Huh-Oh...! Windows can't find '.sfc/' I copy/pasted that command and did it twice with the same results. I don't have any installation disks for this machine. Can I get that from hp for free or at least cheap?

Thanks for your time.

Wendy

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,948 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

'.sfc/'

The above contains a period. If a period was included, it would not work. Please try again and make sure there is no period included.

As for the disk, it may not request it. When I run it, it never has because the required files are all in a special folder on the computer. My guess is that your computer has that folder as well.

As for obtaining installation disks, and be sure it is an installation disk and not a recovery disk which is different, contact the folks you got the computer from. You are entitled to those disks, and I believe MS requires companies to make them available to the purchaser of the computer. A recovery partition ain't no good if the hard drive has gone south after all. They should not cost that much - you already have the license which is the expensive part.

Incidentally, how old is the hard drive?

Orange Blossom

#7 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

Hi Orange Blossom,

Hum...? Sorry that was my bad on the scf thing, no there wasn't a dot in what Windows reported. I just tried it again and got the same "Windows can not find" message.

Ah-Ha...! I just tried something else and it worked. I did Start>Run>cmd>SCF /SCANNOW and it is currently running. Did you accidentally leave out the cmd thing in your earlier reply or is my system just different?

OK, so here is what it showed after I ran it;

C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN>sfc/ scannow

Microsoft® Windows XP Windows File Checker Version 5.1
© 1999-2000 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved

Scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Mi
crosoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/SCANONCE] [/SCANBOOT] [/REVERT] [/PURGECACHE] [/CACHESIZE=x]

/SCANNOW Scans all protected system files immediately.
/SCANONCE Scans all protected system files once at the next boot.
/SCANBOOT Scans all protected system files at every boot.
/REVERT Return scan to default setting.
/PURGECACHE Purges the file cache.
/CACHESIZE=x Sets the file cache size.

C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN>SFC /SCANNOW

C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN>

I can only guess that it found everything OK as it didn't leave any error messages.

As for how old this machine is, I actually have no idea as to where to look for that information. I actually rescued this PC from a pile of about ten computers that were stacked up on the side of the road waiting for the trash man to collect them :thumbsup: .

Is there anyway I can get the installation disks without it costing me a small fortune?

Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 31 January 2010 - 09:53 PM.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,948 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

Hello,

Okay, I'm glad you got the Scannow to work. You will actually find what it found in the System Events log if I recall correctly.

What I'd like you to do now will check your disk for errors and repair them. Hopefully, it won't ask you for a disk.

Start ==> Run

Type in cmd

In the black screen that shows up, type the following:

chkdsk/r

there are no spaces then hit the enter key

You will then get a message saying that the volume is in use followed by a question. Type Y in answer to the question and hit enter

Then type exit and hit the enter key.

Now reboot the system.

Orange Blossom

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:30 PM

Hi Orange Blossom, Thanks for the reply.

OK, I followed your instructions and no disk was asked for. I rebooted and let the PC do its thing. I guess all went well as the Windows Logo was waiting for me the next day and I didn't have any error messages staring me in the face.

So what do I do next?

Thanks for your time and help here.

Wendy

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,948 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:35 PM

Are you still experiencing the problem?

Orange Blossom

#11 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

Hi Orange Blossom,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't really know yet as I haven't been opening any of my ".wps" for fear that something crazy would happen, like before, and I wouldn't be able to save them without having to copy the entire document first, kind of like making a backup copy, and even that hasn't worked at times.

I mean when when that happens and Windows refuses to save my document all I can do to close the open document is hit Exit and click No to the do you want to the save changes message that jumps up and it's a #@%&* whern I lose a hundred or so page document like that.

I don't know how it happens but when it does Windows decides to start calling a document that I had to close that way a file and sticks a picture representing a file in its place.

I've tried changing the extension back to ".wps" but that doesn't work. I've also tried changine it to ".txt" and opening it with notepad and wordpad that didn't help either. I tried using Microsoft Office Word Viewer and wound up with over 10K pages of stuff like this -->

ҍ;C{sV S k nn:0? w#? y\?;?)lxK :K`'Ngs6{

U-&H
-f} L04U? |"u/|V 5~" gaX"oOmI;ۈdǀ IDAT_3 dCX0. %OY+.<a+S2 C jOnH4繫
7i} SߒK|7 gDZ<.pK[ E04tw4֥ o1[< xaRlM u~D g\[?_Nk}

Anyway, I guess it will be one of those wait and see things as to whether or not we managed to fix the problem or not. And I won't know that for sure until I get brave enough to start opening things again.

I just backed up all of my documents, again, so I'm probably safe to start doing that now.

If you have any other suggestions as to what might be causing this problem, and how to prevent it in the future, or better yet how to get back what MS Word has changed on me, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Wendy

#12 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

Hello

Not too sure what's exactly going on, but I thought I might try to help out

...and Windows refuses to save my document...

Care to elaborate on that?

Also, this problem with the file extensions... are you having it with all file extensions you try and save? Quick check: Open mspaint, draw a scribble and save as a jpeg.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users