Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browser is freezing and crashing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jessiforthewin

jessiforthewin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

hopefully i posted this in the right area.

basically, the long and short of my problem is this: firefox keeps closing itself. it just blinks off, and i'm unable to reopen it. this has been going on for about 4 days now:

Posted Image

i have to go into the task manager to kill it before i'm able to reopen it. the "paste" feature doesn't work in firefox either. i can copy a link and when i go to paste it, 'paste' is grayed out. but i can paste, say, a link if i copy it from AIM.

if it's not closing itself, it stops loading pages. it's fine for a few moments, and then it stops working. i will click on a link, and it does nothing. completely nothing. down on the bottom of the browser it will say "Stopped." naturally i assumed the problem was some sort of malware or virus, so i ran my spybot and malwarebytes. they didn't find anything. i then ran my avg because the resident shield popped up with:

Posted Image

avg didn't find anything either. however, this same 'threat' keeps popping up every few minutes. i've only screenshot'd it once, but i've noticed that every time it appears there's a different .tmp file. after hitting 'go to file' it says that it doesn't exist.

i decided that since 3 different programs weren't finding a problem, it must be with firefox itself. i was able to go in and redownload it and reinstall. it didn't make a difference. it kept doing exactly the same thing as before. i even went as far as downloading google chrome to see if THAT would make a difference. i don't know much about that particular browser, but it didn't work for me. nothing would load. it was just the "aw, snap" page whenever i tried to do anything, including going to my homepage, which is google.com. lols, the irony.

i also cannot boot into safemode.

two days ago, my malwarebytes scan came back with this:

Posted Image

after having the infections removed, i ran it again. i then ran spybot, and superantispyware. everything came back clean. i then tried to boot into safe mode: no luck.

nothing has made the slightest bit of difference. last night, out of sheer frustration i ran malwarebytes again. i did a full scan, and here are the results, along with what popped up with avg:

Posted Image

any help or direction anyone can give me would be really, really appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users