Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

comp starts but not fully functional - multiple issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 biren

biren

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

i am having a host of bad behaviour in my computer and have been trying in vain to catch the culprit... so, here i am.
my m/c:

Operating System - Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) - i have the original xpSP2 CD, but i think it is an OEM version(found from the product ID in registry)

2.67 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
80gb hdd(NTFS), 512mbRAM

the problem started when i realised i couldn't get Sys info - WMI software cannot be accessed.

so i started searching for WMI problem troubleshooting.
in the meantime, i also found that .NET3.5SP3 was not being installed.

i looked for solution, and found that i had to uninstall all .NET framework versions and then reinstall.
i did that using add/remove first, and then started to run the .NET cleanup tool (of aaron stedtner?)

(before that i had run a spyware-malware removal routine as per majorgeeks - found nothing in superanti, mbam, panda and mgtools - though i didnot get the chance to submit results i had also run Rootrepeal)

the cleanup tool got stuck on one registry key. i waited an hour and then shutoff the machine. i tried it second time, and left it overnight.
when i came back in the morning, it was still stuck and hogging all the 100% cpu.
once again i force stopped it.
and when i tried to start up, it didnot. it would come till the windows loading page, and then restart.

after some trials, i was able to reach the logon page
as typed my PW, in a few moments i got the windows product activation error msg that said some system files were missing or damaged and some check couldnot be completed, and so it asked me to reinstall the xp.

i tried to start thru safe mode, last best..., but machine would stop loading after a few moments and restart. surprisingly, if i tried normal windows, it took me till the point of logon, when the same message would be displayed.

so i got a laptop from somewhere and started to search for solution to this.

i found that the problem had to do with wpa.dbl and wpa.bak.

so i used recovery console option (which i had somehow installed as an option in the selection window for OS) to have a look at these culprits.
i found they, and host (in fact almost all of my files) were read-only, and compressed.

there was no wpa.bak, only wpa.dbl and wpabaln.exe in sys32.

i tried to start machine after changing the read-only attrib of wpa.dbl.
no luck.

so i came back, changed the names of these 2 files to wpadbl.old and similarly for the other.

still nothing.
in wild desperation, i changed the wpa.dbl to wpadbl.new and restored the old one to original name.

this worked partially, in sense that i was able to go in a little further. but got another error msg asking me to repair and re-activate windows.

i said yes, thinking i could differ giving the PID to 'latter' and windows would repair and start. but when i gave that option, computer shutdown.

the next day... i don't how, when i started the m/c, it did.

but host of things were wrong. it is still in that state. it starts, but the functionality and stability is very less.

some problems i have found are:

1. in "about windows", i am unable to see my name as before, under licensed to. instead it says 'licensed to microsoft'.

2. system restore is not working, itried almost 4 points. i also created one, and that became the only available point.

3. most of my system files are compressed (blue colour), and read-only. i can't change the attrib. as i perform it, all files, sub-folders are changed, but when i go back to check, they are still checked as read only.

4. there is a host of system files with various extensions that have that typical icon found when the file extension is not recognised, and the property box says 'application to open file 'not known'. (i found atleast 30 of them, some of these are .sys, .drv, .olb, .sep, .sig, .nls, .mib, .nt, .mui, .ax, .oca, .tsp... )

5. i think i had previously seen a folder named NT under c: or windows in the past. if it was there, then it has disappeared.

6. if i click 'my computer, it takes very long for the contents to load - about 3 -5 minutes. but other folders open fast. similarly, if i click to open the tree in explore window, it takes a huge time.

7. i am unable to shutdown from start menu - it takes very long and i have not waited more than a minute or two to check. however, through task manager it shuts down immediately.

8. reading somewhere, i thought there must be a problem in my windows authentication because of wpa.dbl file, so i checked to activate it thru activation window. but it said windows already registered.

9. in computer management, performance logs are not recorded - all 3 (counter, trace and alerts) show up blank.

10. the following are the main and major error or warning reports in the computer management's event viewer:

application warnings:

these are the 3 warnings that appear repeatedly

1. Unable to read the Log File Folder value of the System Overview log or alert configuration. The default value will be used. The error code returned is in the data.
2. TraceFileName parameter not located in registry; Default trace file used is . (event1003)
3. TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is 32. 1015

application errors

the log is filled with this error

wuauclt (968) An attempt to open the file "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log" for read / write access failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).
------------------------------------------------------------

security failure audit

mainly these 3 only

Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: USER
Domain: MICROSOF-041203
Logon Type: 2
Logon Process: Advapi
Authentication Package: Negotiate
Workstation Name: MICROSOF-041203

Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Logon account: USER
Source Workstation: MICROSOF-041203
Error Code: 0xC000006A

IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.
-------------------------------------------

system log error

most of them are this kind:

The server {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

i know this is a very long post probably with unnecessary info... but i didnot know what would help... and i am in a kind of hurry...
:thumbsup:

hope you can help... fast.

regards.
and please accept my thanks in appreciation for being ready and available to help.

biren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

After reading all of the above, if I were you, I'd back up my data and go for clean install. Much less headache, than what you've been going through.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 biren

biren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:41 AM

After reading all of the above, if I were you, I'd back up my data and go for clean install. Much less headache, than what you've been going through.

broni... i have already done that. i was bleep scared when it (my comp) bumped.
i just don't wnt to go through the hassle of installing all the programmes i have - a looong list.
and, mainly, all those win updates - 4 years long.

another option that has just come up is... my dad has an extra set of winxppro sp2... must be atleast a year old. on the other hand, my xphomesp2 is of 2005 (but i think it is version2002 - as i see on the CD).

would you suggest i go for pro?
is pro better than home?

thank u.
rgds/biren

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:01 AM

Are you saying, that you have all those issues right after Windows reinstall?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 biren

biren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:06 AM

i said 'i have already done that' in response to your suggestion of backing up the (my) data. which i have done.

what i haven't done, and don't want to do, is to have to reinstall all the programmes and win updates.

and no, i haven't installed (pro) recently or reinstalled (home). the issues are in my 'year 2005 loaded' xpsp2 home.

i m sorry i didnot check after posting if my sentences were confusing...

rgds
biren

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

Well, with 5 years old installation and so many issues, there is no miracle solution.
You can spend days, trying to fix one issue after another and some new issues may be coming up.

My Website

#7 biren

biren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:34 AM

how do i close this topic?
biren
--------------------------------

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:26 AM

It's not necessary and it may be of benefit to someone else :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 biren

biren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

thanks louis...
i thot... if i just silently disappeared from this post... it would be like leaving the dog-poop behind.
:thumbsup:

b.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

It's no problem :thumbsup:.

Some sites offically close posts, some do not.

Posts that are closed here are generally those which belong in another forum section, not XP issues, duplicate topics/threads, etc.

Louis

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

Try this: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

#12 biren

biren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

thanks, cryptodan... but i am already on my way to a clean re-install.

tried many things... none worked.

rgds
biren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users