Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK failing to run

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:01 PM

so, I followed the slow computer guide like a year ago and the chkdsk command didnt run in recovery console, safe mode or regular, so I set it to run on restart like it told me to. the only problem is that chkdsk says my file system is RAW and chkdsk is unavailable for RAW file types.

in command prompt it says my file system is NTFS so I am confused why it keeps saying this.

I ask now because I recently found out that my long term defragmenter issues is being caused by the fact that chkdsk is still scheduled to run on restart as it has never actually finished running.

so, for the actual question. how do I cancel the chkdsk upon restart command without drastic maneuvers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

Your larger, more important problem...is the fact that chkdsk sees your file system as RAW.

What is the exact error message displayed when attempting to run chkdsk /r ?

CHKDSK error message - The type of the filesystem is RAW - http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-raw-filesystem.htm. Ignore all commercial aspects, the info provided explains what's happened. Do not buy anything.

What is this Raw File System - http://blogs.technet.com/ganand/archive/20...ile-system.aspx

You will need to employ data recovery software, it seems.

Louis

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

I ran chkdsk /r and it said couldn't lock drive. I set it to run on restart should I restart now?

Also, I read the error message link you posted, and in the disk management thing it says NTFS.

Also, ive had a ton of STOP errors which aparently affects volume type.

I am going to look at data recovery although I can't do anything drastic as this is a family computer and I don't want to delete stuff that isn't mine.

Thanks for the reply =)

EDIT: Ok, upon restart CHKDSK /R gave me the exact same error as CHKDSK /F

File System is RAW AUTOCHK is not avaiable for RAW systems.

REEDIT: So far, all ive found on data recovery is that I cant run data recovery software on the same partition with the damaged disk. the problem with that is my drive isn't partitioned, I don't know how to partition it, and from what ive heard from creating partitions, it forces you to delete data, which as said earlier, I cannot do.

Edited by sausage, 23 January 2010 - 09:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users