Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brantly04

brantly04

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

My parents recently bought a new computer. Their old comp= windows xp new =windows 7. Trying to import their old outlook express into their windows 2007 outlook. I took all the .DBX files from outlook express and tried to import them to outlook 2007 to no avail. I tried the windows mail thing (didnt come with windows 7), but I cannot find where "FILE" is on windows mail?!?? any help would be nice.

Thanks

brantly04

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

Outlook Express use a DBX and Outlook uses a PST. I would try Windows Easy Transfer. You will have to install the application on the XP machine.

#3 plaztikrhino

plaztikrhino

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

In the past I have used a product by Genie-Soft, Genie Mail Backup with great success. They offer a 30 day trial and I would suggest giving it a try. I'm not positive if the program will allow you to go from Outlook Express to Outlook, but it's worth a try.
http://www.genie-soft.com/products/geniemail/default.html

#4 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Import your messages or account from Outlook Express to Outlook

#5 brantly04

brantly04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Outlook Express use a DBX and Outlook uses a PST. I would try Windows Easy Transfer. You will have to install the application on the XP machine.

I am going to try a conversion tool to import it, the transfer did not work.

#6 brantly04

brantly04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

I converted them to .pst and tried to import them. When I do it says access denied, when I fight click the file it does not say read only, when I right click the folder it is in it has a blue mark on the read only part, not the check. When I try to uncheck the blue mark and apply it the mark goes away, but when I right click it again and hit properties it is back.

#7 Bolsterplate

Bolsterplate

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:05 PM

Is the exported PST saved on the new computer or some sort of external media? If it's external, copy it to the new computer and then check the read-only attribute.

Also, a folder will normally appear to have the read only attribute set. It's the actual file that's important, which in your case seems okay.

#8 brantly04

brantly04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

Is the exported PST saved on the new computer or some sort of external media? If it's external, copy it to the new computer and then check the read-only attribute.

Also, a folder will normally appear to have the read only attribute set. It's the actual file that's important, which in your case seems okay.

It's letting me import the .pst files now, but it's not really doing anything. I import the files and nothing really happens, I want all the emails from my parents old outlook express in the outlook inbox.....

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/brantly04/?action=viewĄt=outlook.jpg

I tried to show and image, here is the link of how outlook looks, so many folders on the left

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/bra...ent=outlook.jpg

#9 brantly04

brantly04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

I drug all of the emails off the old computer into a folder and then transfered it to the new one, then drug it all to the inbox and it is taking forever/maybe frozen? Would this work?

#10 brantly04

brantly04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

If I could find a free .eml to .msg program I would be able to just convert the old express .eml files to the new outlook .msg files, anyone know of a program to help me out?

Thanks in advance

#11 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:59 AM

http://www.dbxconverter.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlook_Express

Outlook Express 5.0, which was included in Windows 98 Second Edition (SE) (June 1999), switched to *.dbx files, with a separate file for each mailbox folder.

The Outlook Express Store Folder

Edited by ratchet48, 25 January 2010 - 06:04 AM.

#12 brantly04

brantly04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

http://www.dbxconverter.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlook_Express

Outlook Express 5.0, which was included in Windows 98 Second Edition (SE) (June 1999), switched to *.dbx files, with a separate file for each mailbox folder.

The Outlook Express Store Folder

I have dbx converter. Outlook express has .eml files outlook has .msg files. I am wanting to highlight all of the files in the inbox and drag them into a folder (the .eml files), then mas convert them to .msg, then transfer them to the new computer and drag them into the inbox. I don't think dbx converter can convert .eml to .msg since it only searches for .dbx files.

#13 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

I have been working with Outlook since Office XP, Outlook creates a .PST which contains the messages it retrieves from the Exchange or POP server.

I think you may need to look at Outlook Express User Files.

Perhaps your folder view needs to be changed to show hidden files and folders on both computers.

This from mine C:\Users\My Account Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook, my emails are store in OutLook.PST.

Edited by ratchet48, 27 January 2010 - 08:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users