Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has my computer given up the ghost?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CHAZ30

CHAZ30

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hello,

I come looking for help regarding my Acer laptop computer that is now about 4 years old and I think is on it's last legs....

It runs on Windows XP.

I think the problems probably come from p2p download sites and possibly streaming sites which have infected the computer with malware/spyware trojan virus...

I only have a basic understanding of computers so please excuse my rudimentary explanation of events.

I have run SpyBot, SpyDoctor, since having problems and use the Avira antivirus program.

The SpyDoctor found several "serious" problems that Spybot managed to eliminate (I think) but there are still "medium" risk problems "QQtrojan" (if I understood things written in forums this is related to the register (HKEYS)).

I also ran the combofix early on (before reading that it shouldn't be done until recommended to do so (sorry).
Since I have run the combofix however, I guess this might be helpful for someone to better target the problem....?

Basically, when the computer starts up it "works" for a few minutes and then more or less freezes (except for a few seconds from time to time). Sometimes however, after a few days it used to just work again all of a sudden but I think the days of it just working again are gone.

I used to start it in F8 mode and select a previous date before the problems started and that seemed to work sometimes but no longer does.

On starting up the computer I started getting error messages that I basically ignored as it didn't seem to affect anything and also that I had no idea what it meant.

c:\windows\system32\winsys16_061230.dll : it appears that this is not dangerous and is simply that this has been inadvertantly deleted by a spyware/antivirus program....although I'm not sure about this...?
This error message doesn't appear anymore but then nothing really works either...

I really have no idea what could be wrong, and apologise for my basic understanding of things, but if anyone could help out at all, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Chaz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users