Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus 2010

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 josiah171

josiah171

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

Hello guys.. my mom has a Windows XP Professional. Recently (last week) my mom's computer got Antivirus Live, and I removed it the first time after some really crappy scanning, and thought to have killed it. 2 days later last night, it came back. Even more aggressive this time. I removed that manually, did several virus scans to completely kill it. That seemed to have worked. No more malware appeared in any of the scans with all of my antivirus programs.

Well, now this afternoon, a new one appears. It's called Internet Security 2010, and it is MUCH more aggressive. It even runs in safe mode, so now I can't run regedit, task manager, rkill, or any of those. The only one's I've been able to run (that I've tried) is CCleaner and Malware Bytes. The Windows security system is disabled, it keeps warning of spyware being found, and I really can't do anything. While MBAM was scanning, the computer just randomly shut down, as it had been doing with Antivirus Live.

It also changed my background to say that it has a bunch of spyware. It seems to have hijacked the whole system! I can't find the directory that CCleaner said it was in (I looked in the startup menu of CCleaner). CCleaner also said that it was gone out of the registry, even though I did nothing. It leads me to think that it doesn't need that anymore since it got worse?

My mom has very important stuff on her computer and does not want to lose anything.. so I really need to get this working again, but if I can't even scan or do manual removal, then I'm lost.

Here's the programs I have for this:
combofix, AVG 8.5 free, Malware Bytes Anti Malware, SUPER Anti Spyware, rKill (won't run), CCleaner

I removed all restore points after having thought that I actually killed Antivirus Live.. so a restore is out of the question.

Since it shut down during the scan, I haven't tried to reboot yet. I'm afraid it might not reboot after this time and I don't want to make it worse until you guys tell me what to do.

It also keeps showing security alerts that look just like Windows ones, saying

Your computer is infected!

Windows has detected spyware infection!

It is recommended to use special antispyware tools to prevent data loss.
Windows will now download and install the most up-to-date antispywre for you.

Click here to protect your computer from spyware!

Please help me remove this! I do not have Hijack This, but I suppose I could try and download it. I have the computer removed from the internet so it can't download anything more.

I can try anything you need if the stupid thing allows me..

PS: I have no Windows XP installation disc.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by josiah171, 23 January 2010 - 06:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 josiah171

josiah171
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

I'm sorry... I just checked online, and it is actually Internet Security 2010. I never let it run, I just pulled the plug and rebooted into safe mode. I was so upset that it had a new rogue AV for the 3rd time in a week that I didn't remember its name. Please forgive me. Change the title please.

Edited by josiah171, 23 January 2010 - 06:39 PM.

#3 josiah171

josiah171
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

Okay, I followed these exact instructions:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...t-security-2010

When I rebooted after MBAM finished, the malware seemed to be gone. I'm doing another MBAM scan as I type this.

So now I think I should download and install Comodo firewall. Do you guys recommend this? I really want to provent this ever happening again.

Edit:
Sorry for the triple post... I forgot to edit.

Edited by josiah171, 23 January 2010 - 08:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users