Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browser times out at 10 min

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 lowpine

lowpine

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my internet connection, it dies after 10 minutes, but ping still works.

Here's what I've tried so far: I initially ran superantispyware and removed over a hundred spyware. then ran malebyteware and found and removed 4 more. Then I noticed that my internet would go out on the laptop after 10 mins, my wired desktop still has connectivity and is not affected.

I'm running XP sp2, on a laptop, via wireless. If I hardwire the laptop to the router, I still get the timeout.

I tried 'repairing' the wireless network and flushing the DNS with this command: ipconfig /flushdns

I've also tried fixing the winsock with lspfix and winsockfix. I have to admit that I don't fully understand what they do, but other forums have suggested it. Niether of these things have fixed the issue.

I've seen lots of posts out there that uncover another firewall, like zonealarm as the culprit, but I'm running only the XP firewall.

btw, I posted this in the malware section too, as this occured after malware removal. I don't think I have malware anymore, though I do think it's removal screwed up something. I'm hoping you guys can provide a solution.

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

Since you posted there, we'll need to let them have a look. They are backed up so it might take a couple days.

But just to make sure I read it correctly, wired or wireless your browser won't pull up a web page after about 10 minutes but you can ping out? Are you pinging url(google.com) or IP addresses(4.2.2.2)?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 lowpine

lowpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

yep, it looks like they are getting lots of action on that forum. Since <I think> my malware issue is resolved, I thought I'd hit up the network experts :thumbsup:. I've been battling this for a week, I can hold out a couple more days in accordance with forum ettiquette......

To answer your questions. That's right, my browser(s, firefox and IE) will work for 10 minutes, then I get the FF 'Problem Loading Page - Connection has timed out' and IE 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' errors, but I can still ping. From the cmd prompt, I can ping both a dns google.com or 4.2.2.2 ip address.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to try them out, otherwise I'll wait on the Malware forum responses.. (can you tell I'm chomping at the bit :flowers: )

thanks!

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

What antivirus you running?

Any firewall?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 lowpine

lowpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

norton and standard XP firewall

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

Norton - what version?

#7 lowpine

lowpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

it`s norton version 10.1

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

Is it Norton Internet security? Norton Antivirus? Norton Firewall?

The reason I am asking is something is stopping you from browsing the net but not connecting to it. Sounds like a firewall.

#9 lowpine

lowpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

Oh, it's actually norton corporate edition.

Yep, most of the searches I find for this kind of timeout turns out to be people running 2 firewalls or zonealarm giving them a fit. This version of norton doesn't have a firewall, I'm just using the xp firewall. I've tried disabling the xp firewall and I'm still getting the timeouts.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

You have a DDS / HJT log properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users