Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with internet 2010

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shmih

shmih

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

i am new this this site. I was hoping someone can help help me
MY dell inspiron 710m laptop was infected with internest security 2010
i ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.44 . I selected FULL Scan intead of quick. Now the computer will not start up. The windows Xp screen loads but the desktop/ start button will not load. Some advised that i just re insta xp but i have some files that i do not have backed up and would like to save
any suggestions and help would be much apprciated
thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

Welcome to BC, shmih :thumbsup:

Please confirm this is correct: When you start your computer normally, it begins to load Windows normally but hangs/stops at the Windows XP splash-screen showing the XP logo, and will go no further, no matter how long you leave it.

Please tell me about any other steps you have taken since becoming aware of the IS2010 infection. Did you run any other tools before running Malwarebytes (MBAM). Did you run a scan with your antivirus (or perhaps did a scheduled scan by your antivirus take place)?

Did the MBAM scan finish scanning?
Did it find malware?
Did you/MBAM take action to remove the malware?

What happens when you attempt to start the computer in Safe Mode?
  • Start tapping F8 after pressing the ON button, until you are presented with the Windows Advanced Options Menu.
  • Choose to start in Safe Mode.
  • Are you offered a choice of logging on to either the Administrator account or your own account?
  • What happens when attempting either of those options?
As a first step, if possible, it might be wise to run Check Disk.
Start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP CD (or an XP Recovery Console .ISO image that has been burned to CD).
  • Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press the <ENTER> key. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt. (Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.)
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
  • This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 byrnish

byrnish

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

Hi guys, I seem to be having very similar problem and wonder if I could get a little advice also?
Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop (Win Xp) infected with IS 2010, ran McAfee virus scan immediately (not knowing any better!).
Since then having awful trouble just getting laptop boot, in any mode, (normal, safe, last known good config).
Latest development is that when attempting to boot I am now greeted by the Welcome screen asking me to chose a User, which I have never had to do before as I am the only registered user account on the system. I click my usual username and it appears to continue to boot including showing me my desktop background but then just logs back out to the welcome screen and the cycle continues.
I might add that when I try to boot in safe mode I only get a blue screen with "_?" in the top right hand corner of the screen and nothing happens.
I have been reading hundreds of topics on this virus/worm and have downloaded numerous utilities to a cd while on a clean pc here in work in order to remove it, however if I can't get the laptop to boot up in any mode they're obviously no use to me!
Would you have any advice as to how I can get it to boot up?
Luckily I have backed up only a week or so ago all the files that mean something to me so a complete hard drive wipe wouldn't be the end of the world, but a little annoying all the same.
Any advice?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users