Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please, Network Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grumpyduck

Grumpyduck

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hi everyone, as a last resort I thought I would try to find a solution to my problem by asking for the first time.

I have a laptop Dell Inspiron 1300 and a Fujitsu Desktop PC. THe PC has a USB connected HP PSC1355 Printer.

My Problem..?

I just cannot get the Laptop to connect to the Printer.

Both PC and Laptop are in the same workgroup, I can see both in the workgroup window.

I can access shared files on the Laptop from the PC but not the other way around.

I cannot Connect to PC from Laptop the connection window opens but when I type in my username and password and press OK nothing happens.

I have run network setup wizard numerous times.

Add a printer wizard doesnt show my printer in the browse for printer list, I get "windows cannot connect to the printer.operation could not be completed" or "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the name of the printer has been typed in incorrectly or the printer has lost connection with the server." depending on my approach.

I have disabled all security on both PC and Laptop but neither has any effect....

Ideas..? Thanks.

GD

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

What OS is on both?

From the desktop can you ping the laptop's IP address?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Grumpyduck

Grumpyduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

XP Pro on both, yes pings work both ways...

GD

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

Sounds like the firewall is blocking access. If you are using windows firewall did you enable file and printer sharing on the PC?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 Grumpyduck

Grumpyduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:37 AM

Sounds like the firewall is blocking access. If you are using windows firewall did you enable file and printer sharing on the PC?

File and Printer Sharing is enabled, not using windows firewall, PLUS disabling all security and firewalls has no effect.

I can access "Auto Microsoft Office Document Image Writer on LAPTOP" from the PC , but cant access the Main printer attached to the PC from the LAPTOP

GD

Edited by Grumpyduck, 25 January 2010 - 05:37 AM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

Double check that the shared files/folder/printer have the correct permissions.

Right click what is shared -> click on Sharing and Security -> on the Sharing tab, click the Permissions button -> "Everyone" should be listed, with atleast read permissions -> click OK twice

Yes I know what I am about to suggest is not the best or smartest way to do this. On both computers, turn on the Guest account. Then reboot. See if you can browse the shared stuff. If you can then use this page to set the permissions a much more secure way.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Grumpyduck

Grumpyduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

Double check that the shared files/folder/printer have the correct permissions.

Right click what is shared -> click on Sharing and Security -> on the Sharing tab, click the Permissions button -> "Everyone" should be listed, with atleast read permissions -> click OK twice

Yes I know what I am about to suggest is not the best or smartest way to do this. On both computers, turn on the Guest account. Then reboot. See if you can browse the shared stuff. If you can then use this page to set the permissions a much more secure way.

Sorry, turning on the guest accounts has no effect. I changed the permissions from "read" to "full control" and this also has had no effect.

I can browse from the PC to the LAPTOP but not the other way.

GD

#8 Con10119

Con10119

• Banned Spammer
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

is file sharing enabled on both computer?
could the PC not be blocking the connection from the laptop.

also check your router settings that could be blocking,lots have built in firewalls that may stop it.

I did a bit of looking around this seems a good thread from microsoft perhaps that might be able to help you out

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318030

let me know if this helps

#9 Grumpyduck

Grumpyduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:59 AM

Thanks everyone, I got sidetracked from my networking problem by a virus (from an email opened inadvertently by the wife) which resulted in a full repair of XP, and now the problem is fixed..

GD.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:34 AM

That will do it lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users