Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HOW DO I GET RID OF WEB NEXUS?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:26 AM

i have adware called web nexusmy spybot s&d detected it and i clicked on fix this problem and it fixed it but i still get popups from it
spybot was the only program that detected it
not adaware or spy sweeper
i dont want to download the uninstaller that it offers because it could have viruses in that
what should i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:43 AM

The uninstaller works fine... I have never had any problems with it, or had any people report problems with it. At the most it will leave behind a few registry entries, and maybe a few orphaned files. If you are running XP or greater, Ewido Security Suite will kill off the remainders of the infection.

Trying to do it manually is very difficult. :thumbsup:

#3 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:05 PM

wut is that security program? i dont think i have that
would adaware or spybot get rid of the leftovers?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

You can get Ewido here.

Install ewido security suite
When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck..
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu
Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop, double-click it.
The program will now open to the main screen.

You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
On the left hand side of the main screen click update.
Then click on Start Update.
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
(the status bar at the bottom will display "Update successful")

Edited by Leurgy, 27 August 2005 - 07:16 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Is It Me- JK

Is It Me- JK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:09 AM

i have adware called web nexusmy spybot s&d detected it and i clicked on fix this problem and it fixed it but i still get popups from it
spybot was the only program that detected it
not adaware or spy sweeper
i dont want to download the uninstaller that it offers because it could have viruses in that
what should i do?

I too was getting hammered with Web Nexus Network adware ... but I found a free answer! I was so happy to get rid of those pop ups, I wrote a post on my blog about how to do it. I put a link on the upper right sidebar titled "Web Nexus Network No More!!!" (So others having the same issue could fix it too) That will take you directly to the post that has a link for a free safe download. Others that have found my article have been very happy with the results. I feel your pain.

http://www.achancetosoundoff.blogspot.com

JK

#6 Is It Me- JK

Is It Me- JK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:33 PM

This post is in response to a comment left on my blog (oddly enough posted in an anonymous fashion), that says the article on my site is an advertisement. I am not now, or have I ever been, affiliated with any software company at all. The above post was meant to help ordinary computer users find a fix to their computer woes. A link to a fix ... that's all. I spent quite an amount of time trying to fix my PC, and merely wanted others experiencing the same issues to have an easier repair than myself.

JK

http://www.achancetosoundoff.blogspot.com

#7 MoeCazzell

MoeCazzell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:29 PM

The previous poster (Is It Me- JK) who "merely" wants to help others, fails to say that they are merely refering to Spy Sweeper.

The same Spy Sweeper which the initial poster claimed did not work. (Why didn't the previous poster simply say that? Instead the reader is refered to some review which finally reveals that the program is Spy Sweeper with language and capitalization that seems more like it was taken out of a business advertisement.)

Spy Sweeper is not exactly free, but perhaps the 14 day free demo might remove some spyware before it expires.

I know that Symantec/Norton, Panda, Ad-Aware, all did not detect nor remove Web Nexus.

But I finally found a reference to the Web Nexus Uninstaller (some of the web nexus windows display a web page URL where the uninstaller can be downloaded). Since other people were saying the uninstaller seemed to be safe and worked, I went ahead and ran that. It did uninstall Web Nexus Network without issue.

Whether or not Spy Sweeper also now works I cannot say.. but be warned that the other software I tried all appeared to have worked initially, but later I saw the issue reoccur.

That is because they will detect and remove the secondary spyware programs that Web Nexus will install, but not remove Web Nexus itself. So the computer may appear to be ad-free for a day or so.. then all of a sudden new pop-ups start appearing.

There does seem to be some conflict of information regarding Spy Sweeper, since the initial poster said that it did not work, and another poster claims that it does. But since these programs are constantly updating their definitions and removal systems, perhaps it can now do the job.

I would suggest not buying it, though, until you were absolutely sure it did the job.

#8 Is It Me- JK

Is It Me- JK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:21 PM

MoeCazzell,

The link posted on my blog was the link I used to fix my PC, and was originally posted out of complete joy the pop ups were gone ... that's all. If you frequent my site, you obviously know I'm not a very computer savvy person.

Your statement is correct about the spy sweeper program not being free. But, the free download did fix my isuues. I have not had one incident of WNN since Sept. 15 2005. I too found the free uninstaller for WNN, but the entire program was not removed.

I have received a multitude of emails from people thanking me for the heads up, and saying their problems too have disappeared since the download of spy sweeper.

-JK

#9 templar911

templar911

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:47 AM

The uninstaller.exe from nexus web was discovered to contain a trojan called Qoolaid by McAfee. Any other idea on removing without getting more #@!(! ?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:50 AM

Download and scan with Ad-Aware SE Personal. Setup & Configure as shown here.

Download and scan with Spybot S&D 1.4. Setup & Configure as shown here.
[DO NOT choose the option to install TeaTimer]
Note: If you encounter any error messages while downloading the updates, manually download them from here.

Then perform this online Virus scan:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan

If that does not resolve the problem, then read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 Is It Me- JK

Is It Me- JK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:26 PM

I tried Adawre SE and Spybot S&D, neither worked. Perhaps I didn't have the settings right? ... correct version? Although I dumped WNN with webroot, my curiousity is getting the best of me. The important thing is that the program is gone. I was unaware the un-installer had a trojan horse in it ... don't those yahoos at WNN ever quit?

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

Glad to hear the problem was resolved. I provided links in my previous post on how to setup and configure both Ad-aware (v1.06) and Spybot S&D (v1.4). Just check your version to be sure its current and follow the instructions provided before doing you next scans.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 RavensHonor

RavensHonor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:58 AM

Would anyone happen to know the name of the company that Deploys Web Nexus?? i don't feel I should have to D/L more of their software to get rid of something THEY put on my PC without my knowledge and would like to file a civil suit... Any Information would be helpful whether or not you think I'm being unreasonable or that a civil suit would never work...

Thank you...

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

http://www.spywareguide.com/creator_show.php?id=381
Company Name:
Web Nexus
Information URL:
http://www.web-nexus.net/
E-Mail: hostmaster@web-nexus.net
Phone: +18667288039
Contact Address: Djure Danicica 6
Banja Luka, RS 51000 BA
Privacy URL:
http://www.web-nexus.net/privacy.php
Products:

* Winsync
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users