Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random freezes, resolves in a minute or so.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Whitesugar

Whitesugar

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:16 AM

Besides the problem I have located on another topic, it's come to my attention that my newly reformated Windows ME is constantly receiving random lockups.
Every few minutes it freezes for a few seconds, up to a minute. Afterwards it continues as if nothing's happened. This is on any program, at any instance. From browsing in Mozilla, to playing music or editting in Paint Shop Pro.

The following programs appear on the ctrl+alt+panel when I start up the computer. I currently have McAfee Internet Security Suit 2005 and McAfee Spyware Protection installed on this computer.

Kodak Software Updater Agent
Explorer
Mpftray
Mscifapp
Mcvsescn
Msksrvr
Mpfagent
Msscli
Mskagent
Mcvsshld
Mcagent
Systray

Any idea to help resolve the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

Well it looks as if everything belongs to the massive bloat of McAfee.
The reason I quit them years ago. JMO

Needed at Startup:
Systray
Explorer

You can go to the config. utility and stop this it is not needed:
Kodak Software Updater Agent
Start>Run>(type) msconfig>remove the checkmark from the Kodak Updater>Restart.

Looks like these belong to McAfee:
Mpftray
Mscifapp
Mcvsescn
Msksrvr
Mpfagent
Msscli
Mskagent
Mcvsshld
Mcagent

To start with McAfee Internet Security Suit 2005 was not built with the users of ME & 98's best interest at heart, but some (if not all) of the features might run without conflict. I have not did any research as to what all comes packaged into McAfee Internet Security Suit 2005 but I am sure there is some kind of e-mail scanning utility weaved into it somewhere and that will need to be disabled for it is useless and does nothing but make the user feel good. Do this and see if things work better.

Edited by River_Rat, 27 August 2005 - 03:06 PM.

#3 Whitesugar

Whitesugar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

I realised what the problem was.
McAfee was scanning for updates every 5 minutes, 24 hours a day.
Once I put it to scan only once a day in the morning when I boot up my computer, all runs fairly well.

On the email-scanning part, are you refering to McAfee SpamKiller?.
Either way by the end of the year I'll have Windows XP installed, so hopefully I won't be targeted by anymore ME conflicts with programs. (:

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:19 PM

On the email-scanning part, are you refering to McAfee SpamKiller?.

No
There will be a seperate utility for e-mail scanning, I am not sure where it is but it is probably in the VirusScan utility.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:24 PM

Mcvsescn:
Process name: McAfee VirusScan E-mail Scan Module
Product: McAfee VirusScan
Company: Networks Associates Technology, Inc
File: mcvsescn.exe
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users