Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DCOM Error 10016

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 silent54

silent54

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

I've been getting this error over that last few days.

DCOM (source)
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1} to the user NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I've found several solutions on the web (which I added one below) and I started going through it but when I get to the step "In the details pane, locate the program by using the friendly name. If the AppGUID identifier is listed instead of the friendly name, locate the program by using this identifier.", I don't see either the friendly name (if I'm looking for the correct one) or the appid which I do know. I'm pretty much stuck at that point.

One guide tells me to look in the Localserver32 folder which I get:"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin32\nSvcAppFlt.exe"

Another tells me to click or use the AppID: {066FCC09-2096-4EEF-AA2F-353DB80F1BF8}

As stated, I don't see either in the DCOM Config list. Thanks for any help.

Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value
HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
The clsid value is the information displayed in the message.
In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is displayed. Leave this dialog box open.

To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods, depending on the cause of the problem. Grant the user permissions to start the COM component Grant the user permissions to start the COM component. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\CLSID value
Note In this subkey, "CLSID value" is a placeholder for the CLSID information that appears in the message.
In the right pane, double-click AppID.
The Edit String dialog box appears. Leave this dialog box open and continue to the next step.
Click Start, click Run, type dcomcnfg in the Open box, and then click OK.
If a Windows Security Alert message prompts you to keep blocking the Microsoft Management Console program, click to unblock the program.
In Component Services, double-click Component Services, double-click Computers, double-click My Computer, and then click DCOM Config.
In the details pane, locate the program by using the friendly name.
If the AppGUID identifier is listed instead of the friendly name, locate the program by using this identifier.
Right-click the program, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab.
In the Launch and Activation Permissions area, click Customize, and then click Edit.
Click Add, type the user's account name, and then click OK.
While the user is selected, click to select the Allow check boxes for the following items:
Local Launch
Remote Launch
Local Activation
Remote Activation

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

Are you running 64-bit XP?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 silent54

silent54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

Are you running 64-bit XP?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Don't have one. I built my system; however, my MB is Nvidia 780i SLI. I am also running 64bit XP. Never had this problem with the XP 32bit or with 64bit Vista. Been running XP 64bit for a week now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

See if the MS guidance provides any relief, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899965

Other users with similar problem, http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...COM&phase=1

Louis

#5 silent54

silent54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

See if the MS guidance provides any relief, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899965

Other users with similar problem, http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...COM&phase=1

Louis

I've used the one from Microsoft. My problem is that I don't see either the freindly name, AppID or CLSID in DCOM config. I posted all three in the initial post. Hence, the reason I'm stuck at this point. I right clicked each CLSIDs that follow the named items and none of them look like what I need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users