Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Dial-up?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:04 PM

Hi All,
Have not used dial-up for years. But during a recent storm-related power outage I realized it wouldn't be a bad idea to be able to do so, since the phone line was still working.

Is there such a thing as a free dial-up provider?

I live in Sonoma County in California.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

In my area, Ohio, there is no free dial-up service. However, several ISP`s do offer dial-up in the $10 a month range.
I seriously doubt free dial-up is offered any where.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

NetZero Free Dial-Up Internet Access

Free Internet Access - Surf the Web free for 10 hours a month*

bold mine.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

Note...

Free Dial-Up
Please note that, depending on the numbers you choose, your location, and your calling plan, you may incur long distance or toll charges in excess of your local service charges on your telephone bill. For a list of access numbers and their locations, click HERE. To find out whether or not you will incur any charges, and if so, the amounts of such charges, please contact your local telephone company. Live telephone technical support is available for a fee of $1.95/min ($2.95 CDN/min in Canada). You are responsible for all telephone charges and any technical support charges incurred. Service not available in all areas. See Terms of Service for complete details.

Edited by Broni, 23 January 2010 - 04:00 PM.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

:thumbsup: Never even thought of needing the Internet for emergencies. Had never even thought to look for free dial-up.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

If my memory serves well, I recall, some years ago, some broadband ISPs were offering free dial-up backup connection....

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

I know the satellite based companies do. But they are prone to other outages, not just electrical.

I think it was only with their higher priced packages = business targeted.

Edited by ThunderZ, 23 January 2010 - 04:23 PM.

#8 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

Wow, thanks for the ideas! NetZero looks good--there are several access numbers for my town. I will also check with my broadband provider and see if they offer anything. Will let you all know what happens!

#9 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

Success!

I called my broadband provider, which happens to be AT&T. Talked with tech support and now am configured for both dsl and dial-up with a simple click in network connections in the control panel. It turns out that ATT is an ISP for its broadband and you can use the same ISP for dial-up at no charge. A more expert person might be able to do this themselves, but it was very helpful for me to have tech support walk me through it.

Also did a couple of experiments while on dial-up going to some emergency sites I might use--such as the utilities company and some local news. Worked great.

Feels good to have this back-up plan.

I am in Windows XP by the way.

Thanks again for the suggestions, and especially Broni!

I am 3 for 3 with bleepingcomputer--3 problems, 3 solutions thanks to the expertise around here! :thumbsup:

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

Cool beans :thumbsup:

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users