Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Video drivers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PhOeNiX559

PhOeNiX559

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

Hello,

I am not too sure if this is the proper location for this post, however it seems like it should work anyways. Well, my problem is that i recently had to reformat and reinstall windows xp home on my laptop, however i wasn't able to make a backup of my drivers. All the drivers, except two ATI drivers, which i was able to find by using the manufacturer and hardware numbers on the device manager. I was able to install one of the two, however, the other one claims that i need to install the video driver before i could install the driver. I used an unregistered version of the driver detective software to see what drivers had issues, and the only relevant one that had issues was the video driver which i was trying to install.

Also, for some odd reason, when i try to install the DirectX software on the computer software that needs it doesnt recognize it and i dont see it in the Add/Remove Program program.

How could i fix these issues? I beleive that the core issue is the video driver. I am able to run the computer and use the internet, however other programs which i was able to use on this computer in the past, Guild Wars and Diablo 2 for instance, are not able to run because of the above issues.

Thanks in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

DirectX is not listed in Add\Remove by default.

Did you install chipset driver after Windows reinstallation?

Download System Information for Windows: http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html to your Desktop.
Get SIW Standalone (English-Only).
Double click on siw.exe to run the program.
Go File>Create Report File>HTML
Save the file to known location.
Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 PhOeNiX559

PhOeNiX559
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Sorry for the newb question, but how do i attach the file. I have the report in a zip file, however i do not know how to attach files onto the forum.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

Upload the file here: http://www.filesavr.com/
You don't have to sign up, or login.
When upload is completed, download link will appear in your browser address bar.
Post download link.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 PhOeNiX559

PhOeNiX559
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

Ok, thank you very much. Here's the link to my SIW Report. And thanks for the fast reply.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

Download and install ATI SB400 driver first: http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/287121/a...e-download.html

My Website

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

I apologize, North Bridge driver should go first: http://www.nodevice.com/driver/Radeon_Xpre...0/get34998.html

My Website

#8 PhOeNiX559

PhOeNiX559
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

sweet. Thank you very much for the speedy assistance. This did the trick.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

Nice job :thumbsup:

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users