Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure what is going on

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 philips21

philips21

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

Ok, I could really use some help here. I have been trying to resolve this problem for the last few days with very little luck. A few days ago, when I would run a google search and click on a a link, something would redirect me to a different website than the one I wanted. After trying several different programs (including Adaware and Malewarebytes) with absolutely no success, I ran Hitmanpro 3.5.4 build 86 and that seems to have resolved that problem (found a file that I think - but cannot be totally sure now as I did not think to write the name down - was the atapi.exe file that seems to be part of this go.google virus).

That being said, I think I still have a problem. My computer shut down yesterday in the middle of a Hitman Pro scan, giving me a blue screen error. Beyond that, I am pretty sure that something is blocking my antivirus and anit-maleware apps (not to mention my drivers) from updating properly.

Also, when I first boot up the computer, Windows Security Center pops up a message saying the my computer may be at risk as no firewall is active. By the time my computer finishes booting up, the warning is gone, and the firewall appears to have been re-engaged, but this behavior is new since I got this virus. Another new problem is that Chrome now crashes periodically - something it never did before - or becomes unresponsive.

I am running XP

I have completely run out of ideas for what to do.

Thank you for any help you can provide

Edited by philips21, 23 January 2010 - 09:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 philips21

philips21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

Ok, I need to add a couple things to my post above, and it will not let me edit it for some reason. First, the file that Hitman Pro removed was called iaStor.sys. Also MalwareBytes removed or quarantined something it called a Rouge.Installer.

Thanks, again, for any advice you can offer

#3 philips21

philips21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

Please ignore this topic - I have posted a newer, more comprehensive description of the problems I am having.

Thank you

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

Topic Closed. New Topic here...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1599471
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users