Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't shut down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:12 AM

EDIT
Problem is solved

Start Menu > Run, cmd, shutdown -s -f
/EDIT

Hi there :cool:

I need help to shut my computer down. It just won't :)

When I try to (go to: start - shut down), it gives this message:
Posted Image
Pressing "OK" just ... well, just doesn't do anything - but the message disappears. The computer itself seem to work on like I never tried to shut it down in the first place.

ctrl+alt+del doesn't help, keeping the "on/off" button pressed isn't working either (I know, last resort but I got fed up :P ) They all just result in that message appearing.

It is 8 hours later now, and apparently windows is still working that file :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet: .
Any ideas on what to do?

I'm currently scanning my computer with malwarebytes, but I doubt it is infected - I don't go on the internet with it and all the USB-sticks I used were thorougly checked out :inlove:

I would really like to stop wasting energy, so any help will be appreciated! I'll add the Task Manager, in case somebody can see what file it might be that Windows is working on (not sure whether you can see it there, just a thought).

Thanks in advance.

Posted Image

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 24 January 2010 - 05:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:10 AM

Open Run dialog from Start Menu > Run, type shutdown /p /f and press Enter.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

Download Malwarebytes and have it scan. You may have a rouge hidden process that is writing stuff to a file like a keylogger.

#4 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

Thank you both for your reply!

@Romeo29
I will try that
EDIT And ... it did not work :cool: It just ignores it!
Could you tell what you hoped would happen? I mean, naturally you were going for a shutdown, but why the /p and /f?

@CryptoDan
I have runned that scan - it found nothing. Of course it is nice to know there's nothing wrong, but I was silently hoping it was something you said, for now I still don't know what caused it :trumpet:

I tried a "defragmentation" of both the C and D disk... And an "errorcontrol" (Properties) ... It did not help :thumbsup: :flowers: :inlove:

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 23 January 2010 - 01:40 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

did you notice there's a space between the n and the / and also the p and the /
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

Yes, I did forget those the first time, but I quickly corrected it. So YES, I used the spaces. Nothing happens... Or more correctly: I see a flash of what could be a message in the left upper corner of the screen, but it lasts shorter than a second - way too short to see what it is. It is really just a flash.

No shutdown has occured... :flowers: yet...

If somebody had told me this was possible with a computer, I wouldn't believe them :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

Try running that command from the command screen.

Start/Run...type cmd and hit Enter. Type the command on the black screen.

Louis

#8 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

I think this might be the way to do it, but I am not sure I get it. I think maybe /p and /f are the wrong commands for my computer? Not sure what to use though.

Here's what happens:

Posted Image
Maybe this:
shutdown -s -f
Not sure though, so I'd like some confirmation on that :flowers: I really want this computer to shut down, but I also like it to start up again afterwards :thumbsup:

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 23 January 2010 - 02:37 PM.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

I am sorry, I posted shutdown command for Windows Vista and Windows 7. For Windows XP, the command is shutdown -s -f as you have figured out already.
This command forces Windows to close all running applications and shuts down Windows.

I have removed XP from my computers and now only run Vista and 7. This is one reason I stay away from XP forums as I cannot verify information before posting. Please accept my apologies.

Edited by Romeo29, 23 January 2010 - 08:54 PM.

#10 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:07 AM

No worries, I figured it out in the end (I took the risk of using the command while I did not really know what I was doing ;) ). With all advice together I finally managed to shut the computer down :trumpet: So thank you all! :flowers:
And the best of it all is that the computer started up perfectly normal today, and had no problems shotting down :thumbsup:

So thank you all for your time and advice!

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 24 January 2010 - 05:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users