Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Windows 98 have problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 glwagner

glwagner

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

Hi,

Hope someone can help...my computer crashed and I had to formate the hard drive and do a clean install of Windows 98. Everything seems to be working except for the sound...I have no speaker on the tool-bar...the computer (not the one I'm using) has no modem, only used for playing games and was bought used...it is an AEC computer...I think the sound card is a Roland Soundcanvas...in Device Manager-other devices it has a yellow ? and ?! yellow on the PCI Multimedia audio device...in properties it has-the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)...tried to reinstall driver (using my windows 98 CD from my good computer) cant do...in resources it has-the resources this device is using do not match any of its know configurations...can anyone help...thanks glwagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:59 PM

You can try to go to the Device Manager and Right Click the Devices with the Yellow :thumbsup: and Remove them and then restart and see if it will load the correct drivers from the drive cache, if you did not use a Restore CD then there is a good chance Windows 98 will not have the correct drivers. You will have to look on the Sound Card Manufactures website or google for them.

http://www.google.com/

#3 glwagner

glwagner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:57 PM

I removed the Devices with the yellow ? and restarted the computer...I get "unable to locate a driver"...where do I go on my computer to find out what sound card I have installed? When I know for sure what sound card I have will I be able to download a driver for it on a floppy, since I dont have the internet on my computer without sound?

Thanks GW

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:37 PM

Well there are a few things to find out first.
Is the sound card built into the MB?
If not then you can try taking it out and see if the Make & Model is printed on it.

The best and easiest would be to download and run Everest Home Edition & look under Multimedia and it should list the sound card.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

If the problem computer is not connected to the internet then you will need a CD burner, the download file for Everest in Zip format is still to large to fit on a floppy and there is a good chance the driver for the sound card will be to big also, but they both will fit on 1 CD.

#5 glwagner

glwagner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:49 AM

Hi,

No, the sound card isn't built in, I did remove it and got the info I needed...My Son has a CD burner and I will see if I can get him to download the driver for me...will let you know...GW

It is a Creative Labs model CT 4830. Sound blaster live Serial #T 4830940564325

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:14 AM

DriverGuide.com is a good resource for drivers. Just be sure to get the driver for the 98 operating system.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users