Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New XP download- laptop won't connect to wireless

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kileen

Kileen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:59 AM

So... since my hard drive broke I had a new one installed. I installed Windows XP from a CD that did not come with my laptop. I installed the drivers from the HP website.
Now I can't connect to my wireless network, although the wirless network is shown in the network list with a full 5 bars. Every time I try to connect it loads for a while and says that I can't connect, because the network is possibly not there anymore or out of range. I've played around with the settings and properties with no luck.
The laptop from which I'm now working on is connected to that network.

A friend said that it might be a wireless modul problem and suggested that I download SiSoftware Sandra to find out if I have the right modul installed...
:thumbsup: I downloaded it, but I don't know what to look for.

So my question is: what could be the problem and what do I need to find out about my system/what I need to download so I can connect to my wireless?
Any help at all is greatly appriciated.
:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

I really am starting to hate wireless lol.

Are you using the software that installs with most wireless cards or Windows Zero Config. to connect?

Does it give an error when it fails to connect?

Is there any security involved?

Are you 100% sure its your router you are connecting to? Always give your SSID a unique-ness so you know its yours.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

Advice already given to OP:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.ph....html#msg669018

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Con10119

Con10119

• Banned Spammer
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

look what make your wireless card is in your laptop by going to system information, or just type your laptop model into google and then take a look (using your working internet computer) then type the make of the wireless card with model and drivers at the end and then download the latest drivers and save it to some form of data device then install it onto your other computer.

Moderator Edit

Edited by Pandy, 01 March 2010 - 08:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users