Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't logon into XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 The Grog

The Grog

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

Running xp on an inspiron laptop. Son says he clicked out of a pop up on myspace
Anyone heard of this one? I think it has put me down for the count.

McAfee stated they had quaranteed it so I logged off and cut the pc off.

Now, I can't sign in. It just logs me back out, then back in, ad infinitum. :thumbsup:

I just got the same f'ing thing! I am soooooooo angry as I had just got hit with antivirus live and was almost recovered and now this! :flowers:
Inept Computer User

I'm so happy 'cause today I found my friends in my head.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ventural

Ventural

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

Anti-Virus Live and Internet Security 2010 does not corrupt userinit.exe, it removes it from the registry and replaces it with winlogon32.exe (and sometimes an additional file) as your new user profile loader. However, when your anti-spyware/virus detects and removes Winlogon32.exe from the system, Windows no longer has a clue how to logon since its missing a file that it thinks it needs.

Use this link here to follow directions on restoring the winlogon key using BartPE:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm

You can also use another computer instead of creating a BartPE disc. Replace step 1 in the instructions with plug in your hard drive as a secondary (non-booting) drive and boot into Windows on that PC.

You can do a repair install instead, but you -still- need to go into the registry and make the correction. A Windows repair install will restore the userinit.exe back into the registry, however, it will leave Winlogon32.exe in boot order.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:17 AM

Internet Security 2010 changes this key, Antivirus Live doesn't. And Ventural, when posting information about registry changes made, you might want to consider to display the right information: IS2010 changes the userinit value to winlogon86.exe

The Grog, I split of your post and the replies to a separate topic. When posting about a problem, please start your own topic, do not post in some one elses topic.

For now, can you try to be as detailed as possible about what happened to the computer before you got this logon/logoff problem?

What kind of infection did you have, do you know any names?

EDIT Since schrauber is already helping you, please stick to that topic!!! This topic is now closed.

Edited by elise025, 23 January 2010 - 02:43 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users