Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:17 AM

I was all set too buy a new 17" hp laptop, but then some lady said that hers craped out on her right after the warranty expired and it wasnt booting properly and she wasn't able to update.........does anyone else have anything negative to say about hp laptops or should i pretty much be safe? i read that dell was crap and so was compaq, but i was really liking the hp's and my only problem was to gettingt a 15" or 17". I was going to get it through the hp website or bestbuy.

what do you guys think, am i safe

-thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RWA3

RWA3

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:39 AM

My wife has had her HPdv2000 laptop for a year now with no issues. Now with the windows 7 update(from vista) she likes it even more. I think my only complaint would be the poor battery life .but besides that we are happy with it.

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

thanks, i really like them, but i dont just want to purchase a crappy product.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:49 AM

Last I heard, HP owns Compaq. I own an Acer, had it for almost 5 years now. I don't use it much but it still works good. The battery life sucks. You might want to check the reviews on Acer. I don't know what is being said about them. I've heard Sony Vaio is a good one, but don't know anybody who has one... :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

HP's are pretty good. Dell's are better, in my opinion. That being said, I've never used an HP for my personal computer. I've always used Dell's. So that's what I'm used to (you could say I'm slightly biased, but hey, we all are). Acer's are pretty crappy. Asus is an excellent brand, though.

Whichever brand you get, I do NOT recommend getting a 17" laptop. It is, in my opinion, WAY too big for the ordinary user to carry around and use. It is so unportable (is that a word?) that you might as well just get a desktop (what's the point in paying more for a huge laptop that you can't carry around when you could just get a desktop?). 17 inchers are a beast to haul around. A 15 inch is more than enough. I recently purchased a netbook to carry around all the time, and left my 15 inch Dell at home for the "hardcore" computing. I like the fact that I can still carry somewhere if needed (can't do that with a desktop), but for now, it's a powerful brick that's too heavy to carry around just to check my email between classes. It is still my main computer, I just don't carry it anymore (that's what the netbook is for).

To answer your question: No, HP's are not crap. There are better computers out there, but HP is pretty standard. Yes, there are plenty of horror stories about how somebody's computer tragically failed, but that happens with every brand (it's just the nature of the beast). The situation leading up to the failure of that lady's computer is not limited to the brand. There are countless reasons why it could have quit working. Don't let that scare you away from HP.

If you want/like the HP, then go for it. If you want to compromise portability with power, get a 15 inch laptop (a 17" is no more powerful, it just eats the battery faster cause of the larger screen). If want power but don't care about portability, get a desktop. If you need super portability with super power, get a desktop with a netbook. If you do get a laptop and plan on being unplugged for more than a couple hours, make sure you get a 6-cell battery! Do NOT get a 3-cell! They last no time. I think BestBuy only sells them with 3-cell batteries (to try to keep lower prices). I would get it straight from the manufacturer if I were you.

My final recommendation: get a 15" HP laptop, treat it well, ask for help when needed (this forum is great for that! :blink: ), and it will serve you well for many years. :wacko:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

ASUS makes the best laptops. They have the lowest failure rate.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#7 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

yea i already have a desktop i just need a desktop to bring from class to class and that is true about that big ass 17 incher. just checcking your email would be a pain in the butt, ill have to look in to the 6 cell battery if i decide to purchase from best buy, but i did find out that best buy had better deals than hp.com even shipping was 40 bucks cheaper.

thanks for the help i really do appreciate it.....

#8 jrgolfer21

jrgolfer21

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

I have found that the most reliable hardware is found on asus laptops. Although I've never owned one, I have also heard good things about Sager. I have owned HP in the past with some problems... got a lemon at first, which happens but even after replacement still had a lot of hardware issues w/ the lcd, graphics card and casing. If I hadn't had the extended warranty w/ accidental damage I'd have been in trouble. I can only speak from my experience with the company 4 years ago (when I bought the laptop I speak of above). A number of colleagues of mine also purchased similar notebooks from HP and were similarly dissatisfied. As for Acer, I don't have personal experience with their computers and cannot comment. Good luck in finding your laptop but I would not recommend HP.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Haha, sharpie actually purchased an Asus. It just wasn't posted in this thread. :blink:

#10 jrgolfer21

jrgolfer21

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

That's awesome. Hope it works well for her.

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:09 PM

Hehe, that would be "him", you mean. :blink:

Don't worry, it's not the first time gender confusion has happened on a forum.

#12 jrgolfer21

jrgolfer21

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

That's funny. Hey, I see you post a bit on this forum. You think you could take a look at my post? Trying to find a new laptop... details are on the page:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/295813/portable-and-powerful-laptop/

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users