Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet browsing safely? Is there a "best" browser?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

For quite some time, I have used careful habits and Firefox to avoid the worst of the maladies I read about here. However, recently I read that IE8 is recommended over Firefox. Then when I consider Chrome, Opera, Safari..... It occurred to me that there must be one which offers the greatest protection from catastrophe. I have gotten such excellent advice at Bleeping, I know that I can count on some well considered direction. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

From a pure browser perspective. My personal opinion is browsers by themselves are pretty equal. Then you look at the 'add-ons'. This is where you need to educate yourself, in their use and potential risks to browser security and integrity. It's not the base browsers in and of themselves you need to concern yourself with significantly. I feel that it is usually 'pilot error' that is the root cause of a 'crash'. Unsafe browsing habits and lack of situational web awareness are large contributors to bad stuff happening. This is not to say every web based attack on a machine is the users fault or ignorance. I feel that with education and web awareness much of it can be mitigated or drastically diminished.

The one phrase I am not sure I understand the definition of in your post is: greatest protection from catastrophe

What do you define a catastrophe as? I purposely rather not make any assumptions here.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

I get pretty concerned when I follow some of the topics where someone finds their computer taken over by hackers, keyloggers, malware, spyware and all sorts of other BSOD's and crashes. I had understood in the past that Foxfire had less risk. Now I read some of the experienced contributors saying that IE8 might be better.

When I say, "greatest protection from catastrophe", I guess that I am looking for the browser with the best chance to pre-warn or even prevent a dangerous link or unintended download. I use the MVPS custom hosts file and keep it up to date weekly. I keep my AV current, back up all data, and I have my recovery disk. I even bought a full XP Professional program just in case (I see many problems where people do not have access to their Windows disk)

I am too much of an old geezer to really understand all of the stuff I read. So I ask dumb questions. Maybe what you are saying is that any browser is ok.... it's the safe practice that offers the greatest level of protection. It just seems that I can't be 100% sure of every website or program. I appreciate the opportunity to learn. Thanks for the response.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

There is never a 100% safe. I keep 2 browsers so if one doesn't work I can go online and get help. What you click on or download is very important. Not only what you download but from what web site you get it from. I.E. while I was looking for a movie I was told to download a Adobe plug in to see movie correctly; I did so and bingo I got 4 bad Trojans. I should of got the download from Adobe's site. It took me most of a day and night to clean things. I use I.E.8 and Firefox. My security didn't stop it because I gave permission for the download. Good idea but wrong site.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

There is never a 100% safe. I keep 2 browsers so if one doesn't work I can go online and get help. What you click on or download is very important. Not only what you download but from what web site you get it from. I.E. while I was looking for a movie I was told to download a Adobe plug in to see movie correctly; I did so and bingo I got 4 bad Trojans. I should of got the download from Adobe's site. It took me most of a day and night to clean things. I use I.E.8 and Firefox. My security didn't stop it because I gave permission for the download. Good idea but wrong site.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users