Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can ping internet but applications get no internet access

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PeachSt69

PeachSt69

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:40 PM

I can ping my Netgear router and I can ping the internet but no applications can access the internet. AOL and AOL IM cannot connect. Both IE and Firefox cannot access any web pages. The use of either a URL or IP address results in an illegal operation. I tried reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol of my PCMCIA ethernet adapter card to no avail. I was thinking I might have to reinstall Windows but I hope there is a quicker and easier solution. Please help!
Additional info: Compaq Presario 1200 series laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:29 PM

Is this a brand new computer, or did this problem just develop? If so, did you install or update any application that might have caused this problem? Have your checked your firewall?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 PeachSt69

PeachSt69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:03 PM

I tried to replace my wired adapter card with a brand new wireless adapter. The laptop and the wired adapter are 6 years old. I think maybe the newer adapter was too new for the antiquated machine. When the installation of the new adapter was complete, these problems began. Fed up, I tried to use the old wired adapter again, only to find that the problems persist.

#4 BobN

BobN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:58 PM

Hi, I also am having problems with a Netgear 511t wireless card. Laptop is an old Tobisha, 160mb ram. Win98SE. Card was working fine untill I tried a diferent pcima ?SP slot.
I had to reinstall the drivers from the win disk. Now, everytime when the PC is done booting up and I put the card in place, with out doing anything, A window will pop up
informing me that GEAR511 has performed an illegal operation. Tried unstalling and reinstalling the software and using different slots and nothing works. Help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users