Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error when computer boots

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seitler

seitler

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

The error states:

Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL
The specified module could not be found.

How do I correct this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

MWSBAR.DLL is a file related to MyWebSearch, one of many browser toolbar add-ons (to include MyWay, MySearch) created and distributed by Ask Jeeves. It is often bundled with "free software" such as wallpaper and screensavers offered by third party software vendors and part of the Fun Web Products suite of utilities (Smiley Central, Cursor Mania, FunBuddyIcons, FunWebProducts, MyFunCards, My Mail Stationary, My Mail Signature, PopSwatter, Popular Screensavers, Webfetti, My Way website portal, etc). The toolbar is also aggressively offered via annoying banner ads and pop ups advertised on third party web sites that target kids. For a more detailed overview, refer to the Ask Jeeves Software Review conducted by Sunbelt Software Research Center.

MyWebSearch and MyWay were pre-installed on new Dell computers starting in November 2004 as reported in The Pharmer In The Dell. Dell had a link to "What is the Dell MyWebSearch Home Page?" but it has since been redirected to The "Dell My Way" Home Page. Dell now uses the "Dell Search Assistant " where they address many of the same concerns previously addressed in the redirected link.

Although MyWebSearch is not technically spyware, the program uses tracking cookies and transmits information regarding search requests performed through the toolbar's search facility. Some anti-virus and anti-malware programs detect the toolbar as a non-viral threat (i.e. not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch) or Potentially Unwanted Program, while others (Spybot, MBAM, Ad-aware...) may detect or remove individual files files (i.e. MWSBAR.DLL) and registry entries. However, even after these security tools detect and remove files/registry entries, remnants may still be found from time to time during subsequent scans.

When that occurs, it's not unusual to receive a "Cannot find...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message. Windows is trying to load the MSWBAR.DLL file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To remove MyWebSearch, please follow the instructions for How do I "uninstall" the My Web Search toolbar?.
To remove the Search Assistant, please follow Dell's Search Assistant removal instructions.

Alternatively, MyWay.com offers the My Web Search Bar Uninstaller for software installed on Dell and other vendor computer. Another alternative is MS-MVP Kelly Theriot's MyWaySearchAssistant Uninstaller.

If that still does not resolve the error, download and use Autoruns
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this. Vista users refer to these instructions.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file (MSWBAR.DLL) in the error message.
  • If found, right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 seitler

seitler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

Okay, I have tried all that you have given me to try in your message above, including went to regedit and searched for it and deleted it. Still not working. What else can I try. Where can I look, it is really driving me nuts. Is it something I need to do in safe mode maybe?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,383 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:22 AM

I would reintstall MyWebSearch which should restore the missing file and then uninstall it properly.

#5 seitler

seitler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

That worked, thank you.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,383 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

You're welcome. Safe surfing and have a malware free day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users