Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a new ISP+wanting to delete the current one

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

I am switching ISP's, hopefully sometime this coming Monday.
Where do I look in my system to uninstall/delete the current one?
I am assuming I should perform that action before I connect to the new service?
I will be dropping a cable provider + going to a high speed (DSL) one.
I was advised at the Mozilla forum to first contact the new provider to know if it will still be a POP type,whatever that is,what port I need to use,etc.

I am using Thunderbird to view all of my email accounts+want to make sure the new account will carry over also. I realize there is a "wizard" of sorts in Thunderbird for this, but I don't know.
Previously I had a friend via remote assistance set it all up for me,so I am nervous about trying this without understanding what I'm doing.

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

Well, I finally was reconnected to the internet-whew!
My new ISP is AT+T but my emails have to be sent thru Yahoo. I can not send any emails using Thunderbird any more since I switched from Comcast to AT+T.

I have touched base with the Mozilla forum, but do not have the issue resolved. The only way I can send email is to go thru Yahoo. I more than likely have some setting(s) wrong, but I sure can figure it out. Before I switched my ISP I was able to send+receive all of my email accounts thru Thunderbird.

Please help me sort this out.
Thank you
honu1

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:42 AM

http://www.att.com/esupport/search.jsp?src...bird&cv=804

Enter the requested information. Click Internet Support, choose the service you have.

In the search box, type in setting up Thunderbird.
If asked for the domain, choose yours.

When the FAQ's open, choose Verify Email Settings in Mozilla Thunderbird.

Check your settings against those shown.

Hopefully that will solve the issue.

I also found something from 2007 here:
http://www.hmtk.com/archives/att-yahoo-cha...ail-system.html

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 January 2010 - 12:52 AM.

#4 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

Thank you for your time+effort.
I ended up doing an online chat this morning with AT+T tech support. It appears I had an incorrect name in the server field.
My ability to send email seems okay for now.

As I am using a new ISP, can you tell me where I might look in my system to delete the old ISP info? It wasn't in add/remove programs, I just checked. I know I had to use a cd to put some type of info in my system. I'd like to clean all of that up now to save space.

Thank you
honu1

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

Was there any Comcast software installed on the computer?
If you used an ethernet connection with the Comcast modem, no software was needed. Comcast won't tell you that you don't need to use the disk. Ethernet modems are plug in and if activation is needed, call and they can do it over the phone.

The only time it is installed is if your Comcast modem used a USB connection and for that you do need the disk to install drivers.

However, you do mention using a cd. I'll do some digging on Comcast support pages and see if I find anything that would tell me what you may have done when using the CD.

Things like the Comcast toolbar and Comcast Desktop Doctor (which in my opinion are not needed) can be uninstalled if you used them. The disk also (or it did at one time) installs a Comcast branded IE.

Found it. (I'm skipping the first 3 steps which deal with connecting the ethernet cable)

4.Insert the Comcast High-Speed Internet Installation CD into your computer’s CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. The installation program should take about 15 minutes.

•During the installation process, you will be asked to accept the software license agreement and the Comcast Agreement for Residential Services

•The Installation Wizard will check to make sure your computer meets requirements for Comcast High-Speed Internet service. If so, the process with continue to configure and activate your account. Please make certain all other applications are closed when running the Comcast install software, so that Comcast may install all service attributes on your computer.

•You will be asked to create a user name and password. You will need this user name to access both email and the Comcast.net website. The Wizard will then finalize the settings and install Comcast support software.

Basically it activated your internet account with Comcast and registered your modem.
If support software was installed, it should be listed under Comcast in Add Remove. If you don't see it, it's probably not on your computer.

At any time while you had Comcast, did you ever reinstall Windows? If you did, it knocked out the support software and it's no longer on your computer.

You could also do a search for Comcast and see if it finds anything.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 February 2010 - 12:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users