Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No IP address, Can not start RPC, No Local Area Connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John Zags

John Zags

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hello All,

I have been a long time view of this forum and appreciate everybody's valuable insight. I finally have come to a problem in which I needed to make an account and ask. So Hello my name is John and thank you in advance.

A friend of mine asked me to fix their computer. They said the IP address disappeared. I have been working on this for hours but I have not been able to find a solution.

Here are the problems I've encountered while trouble shooting.

When attempting to start the RPC Locator I get the following errror:

Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

The IP address is currently coming up as 0.0.0.0

When I attempt a ipconfig / renew I get the following error:

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection. The RPC Server is unavailable.

When I go to look at my Network Connections Tab, there is no local connection available. When I try to create one, No icon appears. I go through the quick process of setting up an internet connection and nothing appear. So my network connections is completely blank.

I read about a registry edit that I found on here that was supposed to fix the problem, yet it did not work for me.

Internet explorer will not open at all. I download firefox on another computer and placed it on the broken computer - but of course not page will display due to the problems I am encountering.

As you can see I am having a vast array of issues but I believe they all point to one thing.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

Malware problems...or the effects thereof?

What's reflected as pertinent errors in Event Viewer?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 John Zags

John Zags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

I show 2 errors today from things that I was attempting to do.

Error: Application Errror
Error: EventSystem

When I right click and select properties to find out more information nothing appears.

I tried to install a fix for a corrupt winsock file because I thought that was the problem. It would not let me install the file. I have 3 warnings for MsInstaller on my 3 installation attempts. Looking back over the history of this computer I see that MsInstaller was never able to install... There is always the same warning... Around the time these errors started happening a month ago.. I see the same errors for EventSystem and Application Errror

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Well...when I see a system with problems which are of an unknown depth and nature...I think "clean install" and "malware."

I would try all the routine things...run chkdsk /r, check status of critical updates, install IE 8 and SP3, possible repair install...but when key system functions are absent...I really don't believe in trying to patch them one at a time.

Louis

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

You have several services not running I am guessing. There are several very bad things that cause that and even if you spend several days chasing it down, you are probably going to end up at the clean reinstall point.

Back up yer stuff and get started unless you find it entertaining to bang on it.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

Im willing to gamble that this is the effects of a malware or viral infection.

Maybe a reformat and a clean install is in order?

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

I hate to ask a stupid question but if there is no connection shown in network connections have you checked device manager to see if there was a problem with the network adapter? This all sounds like either a bad or failed card.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users