Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Issue - can't get into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Damnedifido

Damnedifido

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

I got a virus somehow on my computer. I tried to remove it using McAfee but now when you start it up it goes to where it is starting in safe mode without pressing F8? After it comes to the Start Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking selections regardless what you pick the computer reboots and starts the process all over again.
The computer is a Dell Dimension E310 with XP Home-SP3 and all the latest security patches installed. Is there anything you might suggest short of reformatting?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Damnedifido

Damnedifido
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:31 PM

At this point I have ran the recovery XP CD to get into recovery console. Once there I select Setup then I pressed "R" to try and recover without reformatting. The system looks like it is going to make it all the way through but when it comes to the part where the system must reboot to continue the recovery process. It restarts it comes up with an error message that says "Windows XP setup cannot run under safe mode Setup will restart now". When you press any key to continue the system reboots and comes right back to the above error message.

Anyone got any ideas, comments, thoughts?

Thanks Much...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users