Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Tool Removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jae

Jae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

I recently ended up getting Security Tool infection on my computer. I've printed out the removal guide lines from this site. <http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-tool> I have already done a system restore in safe mode. Is the system restore all I need to do or do I should I go through the guide line as well?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

A system restore can still leave malware on your machine. Go through with the removal guide to be sure the infection is gone.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

If System Restore is working you can always try using it. Whether it will be successful or not depends on the malware infection not disabling that feature and whether malicious files have already been backed up to your restore points. When malware is present on the system, it can be included in your restore points so using System Restore on an infected system may restore other malware-infected files if they are present. Generally its better to leave it alone until the machine is clean and stable. However, in some cases, using System Restore may return some system stability if you are having problems running disinfection tools or booting up.

Keep in mind that if you are able to successfully use System Restore to return to a previous state there is no guarantee your computer will not still be infected. As such, you should immediately perform scans with your anti-virus and anti-malware tools afterwards.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Jae

Jae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

Thank you both!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

You're welcome and good luck. If you continue to have issues with malware, post back.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users