Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to boot from Windows CD - cannot start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LadyGodiva

LadyGodiva

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

Greetings!

First post here so apologies if I do some stoopid newbie thing - I'm a little frantic right now because I was to send a resume to a potential employer and my computer has croaked out on me. :thumbsup:

I somehow acquired the "Antivirus Live" virus. I had a fix to try but when I tried to start in safe mode, I just get a list of drivers and nothing else happens. - no prompt, no desktop, etc.

I then tried to start in safe mode using the system configuration tool, and now I get just a black screen when I boot up normally. I can still get to the list of drivers if I try to start in safe mode but nothing happens beyond that.

I have my Windows XP CD but not a boot disk. I'm horrified that of all the stoopid things, I somehow can't find my boot disk.

I can't get my computer to boot from the CD. Tried to look up info on the forum and in my documentation but no luck.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Boot disks...are not necessary if you have a MS Genuine XP CD...the CD is bootable.

<<I then tried to start in safe mode using the system configuration tool...>>

Exactly what did you do? See Problems That Can Occur By Forcing Safe Mode, near the bottom of http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Louis

#3 LadyGodiva

LadyGodiva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Boot disks...are not necessary if you have a MS Genuine XP CD...the CD is bootable.

<<I then tried to start in safe mode using the system configuration tool...>>

Exactly what did you do? See Problems That Can Occur By Forcing Safe Mode, near the bottom of http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Louis

Thanks for the reply. I do have the XP Operating System CD that came with the computer - just can't get my computer to boot from it. I've tried rebooting with the CD in, but it doesn't do anything different than a normal startup and I get the black screen. I also tried putting the CD in after the computer was booted up to the black screen with the same results.

I did exactly what it says NOT to do in the tutorial - went into system config and clicked on "SAFEBOOT" (I believe - whatever option forces it to boot in safe mode). I learned too late about the problems that can happen when you force your computer into safe mode by doing this. Was looking at too many sources of info at once and didn't realize that I already had a problem when booting into safe mode.

Sooooo....what I need to do now is get my computer booted back up to a proper safe mode using the XP CD that I have.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

In order to boot from CD/DVD drive...rather than the hard drive...it must be selected as the first boot option in the BIOS.

System manufacturer and model?

How to access-enter Motherboard BIOS - http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Once the boot options have been changed...typically, pressing F10 saves the changes and reboots the system.

Louis

Dealing with the safeboot thing is beyond my knowledge.

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2010 - 01:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users