Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem while de virusing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrmus

mrmus

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

Two Weeks ago, my teen daughter got the Antivirus Live virus on her pc. Thanks to the advice on this site, I removed it and it has been doing fine. I also put OpenDNS on it to supposedly keep her from going to the stuff where she must be getting this garbage. Yesterday, Antivirus Live erupts again. Per the advice given here, I tried to open up in Safe mode. It would not open up that way. When I press safe mode, it shows the files for a few seconds and stops, black screen, then asks me again if I want to open up in normal or safe mode. I finally give in and open up in normal mode. Of course, when I do that, the virus starts doing its song and dance. I have rkill on the desktop, but it does very little good if any. I can't sit there and wait for Malware bytes to run its scan. So, finally I decide to do a restore factory presets. Her machine is also an older model with only 256 Mg of Ram which drives me crazy. So I let it do its factory thing while I go to the local electronics store and get some memory as it says I can upgrade to 2 Mgs. I come home and the restore is finished and I shut down, open it up and slide the memory in and lock. I start up and all I get is a beep for about 4 seconds, 4 seconds silence, beep for 4 seconds, etc. NO pic on screen. Suggestions? BTW...the machine is a compaq Presario SR1103WM running windows XP. Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

Wrong type of RAM/bad RAM, you bought.
Try to remove it and try to start the computer on existing RAM.
How much RAM did you buy? How many sticks?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 mrmus

mrmus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

I tried that...I tried replacing the old ram stick...I had 1 256 MG stick in originally. At the suggestion of the guys at F***'s (the experts???) I got two 1 MG sticks and put them in. After I got the beeping reaction...I took them out and put the original back in. I still get the same result.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

Did you handle that RAM carefully?
Holding it by edges only, discharging static electricity from your body, first?

Please, post exact type of RAM, you bought.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

This is what you should have according to: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...ario%20SR1103WM
184-pin DIMM PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#6 mrmus

mrmus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

This is what I put in...DDR 1 GB PC3200 400 MHZ...Kingston...I asked the guys about it not being a 2700 and they said it would work and that it would "clock down."

BTW...I put in 2 of these sticks....

Edited by mrmus, 22 January 2010 - 05:49 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:13 PM

Take a look, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00191902

That system cannot handle 1GB modules, 1GB is the max.

Take/send your RAM back and get modules half the size...remove the old one, put in the new two...should be good.

Louis

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

Interesting....I'm disappointed, since Crucial rarely makes mistakes :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users